Epic river disaster stories. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-01-2015   #1

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Epic river disaster stories.

I've seen some crazy things on the river and love a good story. On the Deshutes a few years back. Dude backed his van and trailer down the ramp. Jumped out with the van still in reverse. It rolled twice in the river and the trailer disconnected with the boat beat to chit. Guy driving was the owners friend. Had to pay a epa fine for recovery too. Another gem was mfs at 7 feet. Guy ran Murphs, lost boat that floated to confluence and he flew out. He ended up being ok. First year of guiding, three stack on trailer and one on the roof. Didn't strap roof raft down and it did a back flip going 45 on the highway. Aire did the repair at no charge. There's more too. Crouch not included. Please feel free to share.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015   #2

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Was on a trip one time and the chef forgot Bacon. That's it... no Bacon is an epic disaster.

Now I bring a 1 lb:30 PBR ratio to make sure it never happens again.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #3

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyswimmer View Post
Was on a trip one time and the chef forgot Bacon. That's it... no Bacon is an epic disaster.

Now I bring a 1 lb:30 PBR ratio to make sure it never happens again.
You need to run bigger water.That sucks though. One time scouting the green wall on the Illinois my buddy didn't tie his boat and it worked its way free.. Raft floated out took a right after the entrance and ran Harveys hole sideways without flipping. Tp got wet though,disaster!
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015   #4

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
One time I saw my grandmother in the shower.....
Old 06-01-2015   #5

A few years back on the grand we were just pulling out of camp in the AM. Another trip was passing frantically asking if we had seen a unoccupied raft float.We hadn't. Turns out it was a private trip with employees from a notable river supply shop and all their TP was on the boat that had come unglued from the shore overnight. Epic problem. We gave them a spare roll, hopefully it was enough to get them by, since the raft was about three or four days down river in the massive eddy towards the end of the trip.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We ran across a guy in Whiterock Canyon of the Rio Grande (27 miles with 3 class 3's) standing on shore shivering. He had a sit on top with no pfd and no helmet. He was wearing blue jeans. We got him on a raft and between 2 crews we came up with food, water, dry clothes, a tarp and a sleeping bag for him. As well as a ride out of the canyon. Temperature dropped into the 20's that night...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #7

Durango, Colorado
This past weekend. Animas River Days parade. Guy lets his buddy row his wood dory. Buddy flips it in Corner Pocket. Dory gets completely destroyed and is still sitting in pieces on the side of the river.

Photos on ARD Facebook page.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm11 View Post
This past weekend. Animas River Days parade. Guy lets his buddy row his wood dory. Buddy flips it in Corner Pocket. Dory gets completely destroyed and is still sitting in pieces on the side of the river.

We saw that dory yesterday sitting on the bank and wondered what the story was with it. Thanks for sharing.
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm11 View Post

I saw that...indeed epic. The whole thing could have probably been avoided if that swimmer hadn't climbed into to stern just before the flip. She was super stern heavy going into the hole. No bueno.
finripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I had a fairly major f-up on a Grand trip in March this year. I'm pretty blind without glasses - I mean really blind. Day 4 I put on my PFD and pop a lens from my glasses into the river. Switch to my spare glasses and two hours later flip my boat in Sockdalager. Just a dumb move and bad timing. Anyway, I came out from underneath the boat without my glasses (yes I did have a keeper but got tore off anyway). During the recovery another oarsman got two fingers broken so we are suddenly two oarsmen down. The solution was to put the guy with the broken hand on front of my boat as my "seeing eye dog". Heard a lot of " big f'ing hole on the left" for the rest of the trip. LOL but we made it with further incident. Props to my (now) good buddy Andrew.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote