Enclosed trailer? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-29-2018   #1

SLC, Utah
Enclosed trailer?

New to the buzz. Been reading a lot on trailers, as I am in the market to get one.
Does anyone have experience or advice on enclosed trailers like a haulmark?
I don't have a garage or place to store my 14' raft during winters, other than rolling it & schlepping it down to the basement. Meanwhile the frame is outside getting snowed & rained on.
I've been thinking about an enclosed trailer that the raft and all the gear could live in all year, so I wouldn't have to build a shed. Also, I like the security aspect. Nothing to see here if I'm overnighting somewhere before or after the river trip.
I'm thinking about a 8 x 16 haulmark or the like for a 14' raft. Some shelves for the gear.
Any and all advice appreciated....
Thanks

blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Well, if you were able to pull off a 16' enclosed trailer, and have a 14' raft be able to stay rigged and inflated inside it, that would be the best of the best, you would have it made in heaven!
I have a utility trailer with a winch and roller, and often tarp my boat, rigged and ready to go, and it saves so much time and work, if everything can just stay in one piece on a trailer. A large box trailer would be the ultimate solution.
Old 11-30-2018   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
The downside to a enclosed trailer would be IMHO:
Hard to inflate or deflate when going over mtn. passes.
Very hard to stack boats if you wanted to carry more than one.
Unloading would be a little more difficult and loading would be much more difficult if fully rigged (backing trailer into the water until the boat just slides on easily is not a practical option).
If you travel fully rigged it would be difficult to restock the cooler ice.
They are heavy.
If any wet gear gets in a enclosed trailer, rust and mold can become a problem.
I have experience with enclosed trailers with snowmobiles not rafts. They are really nice for keeping thieves, ice and snow off the machines. But are a pain in the ass loading, unloading and tying down compared to a flat bed that you have access from all four sides.
I personally prefer a flat bed trailer and good boat cover to store rigged boat. A big dog or a motion activated light works well for thieves.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2018   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I used to have a big 26' UHaul truck for hauling my 4x4's. It was like a 2nd garage...and a motorhome. When I was at home, it freed up a garage stall as I could store my buggy inside. When traveling, it was tight on sleeping space, but huge when I was in camp. I did use it a few times for shuttling vehicles and boats. Here it is one time with the shuttle car inside, rafts on a trailer behind:

2 rafts and 11 kayaks, sure!

Raft on top of the Suby, no trailer:

Fantastic for security, storage, camping. As others have mentioned, really not ideal for rigging inside. If you're doing multidays some distance from home, it would be awesome. For a daytrip rig, it would be less than ideal.

Bighorn listed some good downsides...if you get an enclosed and want to launch out the back of the trailer, barn doors (and props to hold them open) would work better than a fold-down ramp door.

Every trailer solution is a compromise.
Your boating style, distance to the river, etc should dictate what you really NEED vs what compromises you can live with.

Another idea would be to build a platform about 2' off the floor. Put your cooler, drybox, oars, etc below the platform and keep a light, slick boat on top. You'll have a bit of rigging/derigging at the river, but this would also make it easier to fill the cooler with ice or to stock boats...or you could even sleep under the deck and leave the rigged boat on top.

Enclosed trailers need a bit of work to make them sleepable--they don't have enough ventilation for people exhaling moisture all night. One roof jack is good, two would be better. Also the doors are designed to be locked from the outside and are not easily kept closed from the inside...and also think about someone locking you in from outside. They're dark as a cave. A few windows high on the wall, small enough for security but large enough for natural light would be VERY helpful.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
another thread on the buzz shows a ' Sawtooth trailer' with a metal top cover.

I did the same type of thing on my open top utility trailer except used plywood. The raft rides on top and gear goes inside. Not totally as secure as the Sawtooth model, but a lot cheaper since I had the open utility trailer already paid for some years ago.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
Can some one direct me to the instructions on how to include a photo on a Mt Buzz post.

I looked but so far have not found it listed.

thanks

dave
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018   #7

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
I have a saw tooth knock off that I had custom built and they are great. The idea of an enclosed trailer is really awesome if its outfitted right and you have the correct rig to tow it.

Here my 2cents

Make sure it has a door in the front so you can access everything without climbing in.

Over build the suspension and axles. Don't know where you boat but a bear camp shuttle on the rogue can rattle stuff apart.

I too have a storage issue and thought about enclosed. It will be hard to load an unload but totally doable.
As for the coolers, just put them in the truck bed? anything else you have to get daily access too goes there too.
If you pull the trigger post some pictures I would love to see it.
Ruger9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018   #8

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
They are great for security but not for hauling fully rigged. Will a 14 foot raft even fit inside one inflated. I have thrown my sabertooth in this trailer and l can't see my 14 foot rmr raft fitting in it. This trailer has the wheels under fenders on the outside but even the 8 foot wide ones have internal fenders.

I have put 4 boats in this one, rafts deflated and cat tubes inflated. 12 foot sabertooth, 14 foot sotar cat, 14 foot rmr raft and 16 foot air jag tubes. Put all the frames inside except for jag, it goes on top of trailer. And i had my honda dual sport inside for shuttle rig. It makes an awesome camper. Get a V nose also. I have a couple of dock boxes that go up front to make a bed for sleeping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181130_193200327_1543624797168.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	32545  
Old 11-30-2018   #9

Rivertown, West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Can some one direct me to the instructions on how to include a photo on a Mt Buzz post.

I looked but so far have not found it listed.

thanks

dave
When you go to post there is a paperclip on the right. click it and then you have to select your photo
Old 12-01-2018   #10

Rivertown, West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The downside to a enclosed trailer would be IMHO:
Hard to inflate or deflate when going over mtn. passes.
Very hard to stack boats if you wanted to carry more than one.
Unloading would be a little more difficult and loading would be much more difficult if fully rigged (backing trailer into the water until the boat just slides on easily is not a practical option).
If you travel fully rigged it would be difficult to restock the cooler ice.
They are heavy.
If any wet gear gets in a enclosed trailer, rust and mold can become a problem.
I have experience with enclosed trailers with snowmobiles not rafts. They are really nice for keeping thieves, ice and snow off the machines. But are a pain in the ass loading, unloading and tying down compared to a flat bed that you have access from all four sides.
I personally prefer a flat bed trailer and good boat cover to store rigged boat. A big dog or a motion activated light works well for thieves.

oh and every thing said here is true about enclosed trailer. I have never used mine to try and launch or recover a boat from a river. I actually welded a hitch on the back and pull my raft trailer behind it. We can double in WV.