EMPLOYMENT as guide for Overnight or day trips in PNW for 2017 season. (Idaho, WA, OR - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 12-09-2016   #1

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
EMPLOYMENT as guide for Overnight or day trips in PNW for 2017 season. (Idaho, WA, OR

I've guided the royal gorge for 4 years and moved to WA last year. I'm looking for rivers with solid class IV+ Rapids. I've only ran day trips and a couple light overnights (camping in campgrounds with fire pits and roads etc). I would love any input on rivers with some solid Rapids, beautiful scenery, some seclusion, and great people! Cheers!

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

JakeSchipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hi Jake,
Running commercial overnights is way less boating, and more carrying gear, setting up, carrying, cooking, carrying, cleaning, carrying, packing up, and, oh, did I say carrying lots of heavy crap?

Not trying to convince you otherwise, but just want to emphasize how much work these kinds of trips are. My advise is to decide which river(s) you want to work on, find the list of licensed outfitters on that river from the USFS/BLM/NPS/other gov't agency, and send every one of them a resume with your logs, and telling them how much you love people and the river and carrying crap.

These jobs don't just come looking for you- the trips are so much work that you even have to work to get them in the first place.

Main Salmon, Middle Fork Salmon, or Hell's Canyon might be good starting points searching for the things you're looking for in a river. Maybe not quite IV+ rapids though.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016   #3

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Good luck. Seriously. Good luck in Idaho. The over whelming majority of big trip guides are working on 95% tips and have been with the same outfit for years and years. To get in with a group in Idaho, your resume will need to be much stronger than 4 years of Royal gorge. Sorry to say. You'll need like 5+ years of awesome service running day floats with an outfit before they will let you step up to MFS, Selway, or Main. Those are very prized trips and very competitive. You need to know someone of great importance or be very lucky. Its harder to get a job on the MFS than it is to win a permit. Just saying.

If your serious you should find the owners of said rafting company that you want to work for. Go move to where they live and start shoveling their snow for free. That would be a good start..
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017   #4
Down in Brazil

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Solid Commercial Runs in WA

Only two commercial rivers I have done in WA in that class level are the Wind and White Salmon. Both are top notch 4-5 class rivers. Most of the raft companies are based in Husum on the White Salmon that run those.
Old 02-02-2017   #5

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
I know a company that runs the McKenzie River in Oregon that is in need of a lead guide. It's just day trips but if you're interested PM me.
Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #6

Somewhere, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Yep, the sad truth is that it's really who you know. But like those above me said, throw your hat in the ring and who knows, you might get a job swamping at one of the companies. It's pretty bad money (usually about $350/week + tips), but it's a foot in the door for *probably* guiding the next year.

Your chances, from least likely to most likely, would go Selway, Middle Fork, Hell's Canyon, Main Salmon.

If you do get a job, congrats! You have to carry a lot of shit, but it's the best work I've ever done in my life.

Good luck
fostvedtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #7

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by fostvedtm View Post
Yep, the sad truth is that it's really who you know. But like those above me said, throw your hat in the ring and who knows, you might get a job swamping at one of the companies. It's pretty bad money (usually about $350/week + tips), but it's a foot in the door for *probably* guiding the next year.

Your chances, from least likely to most likely, would go Selway, Middle Fork, Hell's Canyon, Main Salmon.

If you do get a job, congrats! You have to carry a lot of shit, but it's the best work I've ever done in my life.

Good luck
Yes, it is all about who you know. I was probably making about $1200 or more per 5 day trip though. Which was really good money and you didn't really spend much cause your always working and eating for free.
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote