Edge Oars - Still Waiting - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2019   #1

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Edge Oars - Still Waiting

Is anyone else having an issue getting oars from EDGE? I ordered some for my Drift Boat in November and they still haven't been able to ship the oars to me. This is absolutely ridiculous at this point. I'm ready to cancel the order but I would like to get them and try them out. I've written emails asking about my order and this is the response I got:

"we only have one person making oars and he is very backed up. Our worker has your order and is working on it."

Seriously, it's been 4 months!! Apparently I'm not an important customer, so I'm on here venting my frustration.

DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Honestly I would probably cancel the order, but that's me. That's really bad customer service. Plus I will tell you that I was on a trip last year where my buddy broke 2 of the blades and one shaft on day 1. It was a low water MFS, so yeah, a bit hard on the gear. But still they just aren't designed to hold up to the rigors of running whitewater. Maybe if you were just fishing, but they are pretty spendy for what I would consider a cheap oar that has been marketed as a high end product. Your better off going with oars from a trusted company with a good warranty like Cataract or Sawyer IMHO.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019   #3

Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I agree, they have not the greatest customer service and it takes forever to get your oars. But.... they make an awesome product. I bought some last spring and ran them all last year. We did a low water john Day trip (150cfs) in July and I beat the hell out of them. In fact, I was actually expecting to break a blade. I hit them on so many rocks and even wedged them in between rocks multiple times and pulled to free the raft from being stuck on rocks in rapids which I know is a no no. They held up great, other than lots of scrapes. I also really like their strong arm oarlocks. They are similar or identical to pro locks, but have a really nice range of motion and make it really easy to stand up and row in lazy sections, which I like to do. I can't remember, but I think they have a 3 year warranty, or at least a one year warranty. I had a small issue with the plunger button on one of my blades and they sent me a replacement blade in a timely manner. I have been running cataract shafts with dynalite blades for years and have been happy, but the edge oars are on a whole new level in my opinion. They are crazy light and seem to be really tough and they have been great to help teach my daughter to row. Time will tell how they hold up. They are a fairly new company and I hope they can get their shit together. They make a great product, along with a line of great fishing rods. They just need to hire some more people or something to help with the backlog. I have had a couple of buddies buy some as well and it took quite a while for them to get their oars as well. Hang in there!!!
bulltrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019   #4

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Edge does not make their oars in house... neither does ProLok. ProLok uses a local WA supplier (I think) while Edge uses a CA company.

Canít say anything great about Edge, as all Iíve heard is they break and replacements are hard to get. Most of that is second and third hand, so...

I can tell you the ProLokís I ordered on March 14th are scheduled to be on my dock at the end of next week. So 3 weeks.
I did break a ProLok shaft last year and had a new shaft in about 3 weeks.

I know lots of people love Gary Loomisís stuff, but Iím not sold and have yet to buy a rod or oar from his not so new company.
Beer Waggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #5

Sawyer makes awesome oars with lots of options. Maybe Loomis should stick to fishing rods.
Big_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #6

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I cancelled the order and was able to get a great deal on a new set of Cataract Oars and blades. I have had a set of Sawyers in the past but wasn't really impressed by the quality, kind of seemed like something made in a guys garage. Also absolutely despise the stupid button that you have to screw in/out to remove the blades, plus you need a tool. Very happy with my new set and ready for the season!
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #7

Bummer to hear you had bad luck with Sawyer. I own the square tops and polecats, really like them both. I have used cataracts in the past, definitely not a bad oar. Could be the fact me and Sawyer come from the same area
Big_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019   #8

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I have rowed and owned just about every oar out there and i would try to break up a monkey knife fight before ever giving up my Sawyer square tops

Sent from my SM-G930T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote