Eagle River today?? Actual Flow? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2015   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Eagle River today?? Actual Flow?

I was thinking of hitting the Eagle River today from Riverbend to Edwards but I can't get an actual flow. It says its 950 or something but visually it looks closer to 3K. I flipped last year at 4,700 and really would like to avoid that again this year going with a bunch of rookie raft guides we all took class together.
Thanks
Joe

joeambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015   #2

River Brain has the Upper Eagle at 2480 cfs. Gauge at Avon Water Treatment Plant.

American Whitewater has it at 940 cfs but their gauge is above Minturn and misses Gore Creek and several smaller creeks.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #3

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Last few days have started around 2500 in the morning and drops to 2300ish by afternoon. Super juicy fun the whole way. Edwards mile is a blast. We took the 14' oar frame and 14' cat no probs. there were a couple logs hung up on diversions by the golf course but easily spotted river right.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Vailboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015   #4

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
How about the lower eagle from Walcott to the fairgrounds?
Scuzzbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzbuzz View Post
How about the lower eagle from Walcott to the fairgrounds?
2910 cfs at 11am. per River Brain.com
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #6
Jon Tucker Stavney

Eagle, co, Colorado
Lower Eagle was great today. 3500 cfs at Gypsum. Less than 3 hrs Edwards to Eagle with lunch stop. Close call with captains seat at RR bridge by CdOT lot in Wolcott. At 43" to bottom of tube, it bang, scraped on underside of bridge bolts behind me as i ducked, and shipped oars. Close call. First battle scars on new frame. We cleared bridge river right. Really nice rapids after. Too close to oar towers for comfort. (Looked like more room when we scouted it.). Took a stupid superman flying swim trying to play 14' oar boat like a kayak out of an eddy at second RR bridge. Too light. Too tall in seat. Dead cow is great now. Chambers pullout is a very precise catch at this level, not so happy with design at this level. Was perfect at 1,400 last weekend. Decided to abandon pit stop early to not hit hole created by downstream jetty. Fairgrounds "rodeo" rapid is big. Can't believe such big water is right here in town. By a semi parking area that RVs seem to camp at anyway In spite of being such a fenced in lot. Gonna make An amazing water park soon. Eagle River not at a good river level for fooling around at the moment, but very rewarding.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
jonstavney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Tip on gauging bridge clearance- if you can see the far cross member you are good to go- if only the near one is visible you are not gonna clear it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #8
swimming

behind the 2nd flatiron, Colorado
anyone know what the foot gauge at dowd says?
GroverGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #9
Jon Tucker Stavney

Eagle, co, Colorado
Thanks for tip Osseus. Assume you mean view from on the river as you approach bridge. Good advice.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
jonstavney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #10

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Yes- if your eyes are above the tallest point on your raft and you can see the far crossbeam you are good to go.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote