Ducky Beach at Blossom Bar, Rogue - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2019   #1

Seattle, Washington
Ducky Beach at Blossom Bar, Rogue

Hey guys,

I am launching on a Rogue trip in a couple of weeks. We are considering rowing one of our less experienced boater's raft through Blossom. I have never actually pulled into Ducky Beach - last time I was on the Rogue I considered it but it seemed pretty damn hard with a fully loaded boat. Any advice or is there a better place to do this? I will still have to run back up to the scout to get my boat so don't relish a crazy long walk, but will do what I have to do. Any advice appreciated

Dave

davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019   #2

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbaker View Post
Hey guys,

I am launching on a Rogue trip in a couple of weeks. We are considering rowing one of our less experienced boater's raft through Blossom. I have never actually pulled into Ducky Beach - last time I was on the Rogue I considered it but it seemed pretty damn hard with a fully loaded boat. Any advice or is there a better place to do this? I will still have to run back up to the scout to get my boat so don't relish a crazy long walk, but will do what I have to do. Any advice appreciated

Dave
I'm a big wuss so a few years ago we pulled in to the normal scout spot on river right. My husband rowed my cat through the very first section, then pulled over quick right into a shallow eddy and walked back for his boat, is that what you are calling ducky beach? I rowed the rest of the rock garden. It would have been a much longer walk if we had gone through the entire rapid. The picket fence freaked me out, not helped by the fact there was a boat pinned at the time. It's just that one move behind the rock but scares the willies out of me with those consequences staring me in the face.
When do you launch? We're on May 15th.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019   #3

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshutt View Post
I'm a big wuss so a few years ago we pulled in to the normal scout spot on river right. My husband rowed my cat through the very first section, then pulled over quick right into a shallow eddy and walked back for his boat, is that what you are calling ducky beach? I rowed the rest of the rock garden. It would have been a much longer walk if we had gone through the entire rapid. The picket fence freaked me out, not helped by the fact there was a boat pinned at the time. It's just that one move behind the rock but scares the willies out of me with those consequences staring me in the face.
When do you launch? We're on May 15th.
We are launching May 9 - trying to squeeze in a trip before permit season. I am sure the eddy you describe is "Ducky Beach". I'm guessing it will be a lot easier getting over there in a light boat - I worry that if I miss it though I might be going all the way to Paradise. Not the end of the world but I'd rather avoid such a long trek.

Thanks for the reply and have a great trip

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019   #4

Southern, Oregon
"Gleason right" Just below Devils Staircase, steep rock beach on river right. The trail is a short walk above it. About a 1/2 mile ish walk back up to blossom.
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019   #5

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
If the water stays up you can run right which leads you much closer to Ducky Beach.

Most people stop way up the river to scout. You can park much closer which makes for a much shorter walk to the scouting point over easier terrain. It is not difficult to row back up from this lower parking spot and take the usual left route above the fence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tempsnip.png
Views:	120
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	34157  
Old 05-02-2019   #6

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
That move is not particularly difficult. As soon as you clear the picket fence pull as hard as you can toward river right. You will come close to a rock on the right side of the pour over but you will just miss it. It seems that every time I hesitate I end up having a real difficult time landing my raft. If that happens it isn't a big deal other than you will have longer walk. When I have missed it I hve gone all the way through devil's staircase and pulled over at the beach right after that. It isn't a terrible walk after that.

You will probably have enough adrenaline you will run your raft onto dry land at ducky beach (never heard it called that).

We are launching on the 10th so I have been watching the flow. Guessing it will be near 3,000 on Grants Pass gauge. At 3,000 it will be very forgiving but pretty fast.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019   #7

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguelawyer View Post
That move is not particularly difficult. As soon as you clear the picket fence pull as hard as you can toward river right. You will come close to a rock on the right side of the pour over but you will just miss it. It seems that every time I hesitate I end up having a real difficult time landing my raft. If that happens it isn't a big deal other than you will have longer walk. When I have missed it I hve gone all the way through devil's staircase and pulled over at the beach right after that. It isn't a terrible walk after that.

You will probably have enough adrenaline you will run your raft onto dry land at ducky beach (never heard it called that).

We are launching on the 10th so I have been watching the flow. Guessing it will be near 3,000 on Grants Pass gauge. At 3,000 it will be very forgiving but pretty fast.
Thanks Roguelawyer

Glad to hear. I think I will eliminate one more stressor and just plan to make it to the beach below Devil's Staircase. I heard the term "Ducky Beach" from guiding companies - I think some of them don't let the clients go through the top of Blossom and end up dropping the IKs at that beach, hence the name

Dave