DS Rampage modifications and upgrades - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-26-2016   #1

Kuna, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2016
DS Rampage modifications and upgrades

I just purchased a Dave Scadden Rampage pontoon boat and need some advice on oars and possible modifications. I guess I didnít do my homework before buying this as there are so many pros and cons over the material, design, and the whitewater rating. So, before I get it wet I would like to get it modified and/or upgraded to include oars. If I get carbon oars, can they be drilled to fit the Rampage oar pins? DS salesmanship is first class but his customer service is non-existent. Iíve already got the boat so returning it is not an option.

BDSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016   #2

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
I need to ask - what is it you are trying to achieve? What kind of water do you plan on running?

I know frameless sounds like a good idea but if you want a solid platform to row from to really take advantage and gain the benefits of composite (carbon fiber/fiberglass) oars you should get a proper aluminum rowing frame with rowing seat. For a bit of weight you gain a lot more safety and power out of the oars as you can really stand on them with a frame to make must make moves. Drilling oars for pins will just weaken them eventually and you're still relying on a weak oar lock system that is glued to the boat itself.

I'd say if you're just occasionally floating easy Class 1 trout streams you could probably do ok with the existing system but if you want to step it up and run stuff with some whitewater (Class 2-3) get a frame!

Lots of good custom frame builders out there.

Or you could sell your boat and get a cataraft from a company that actually supports their products (such as AIRE, Maravia, etc.) and get a local built frame. Then you can get it custom built to your specs.
Old 12-26-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
I'm inclined to agree with Spey, if you want to get serious about rafting bigger water, you need a serious boat with a frame. There is a wealth of advice on this forum to that end, so roll up your sleeves and start reading. That being said, if you just want to mess around in little streams and flatwater, you probably made a wise purchase, as those things are hella cheap compared to a serious rig.

Either way, my advice would be to not put anymore money into the rampage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Mountain Buzz mobile app
lambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
You may want to check out the smaller diameter oars from Sawyer as well, we can order those up for you if you like! Here is the link on specs SAWYER SMALL STEALTH (SST) OAR If you choose a new AIRE or Maravia I can surely help with that too. Good luck and keep it right side up, Renee
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
Light weight equates to a very thin material that makes up your boat. It's about the same thickness at a cheap dry bag. This means you need to NOT drag it up on shore and stay away from hitting rocks. If you do get a hole in it, you are better off using tear aide tape on it, as scuffing and gluing can lead to grinding through the fabric in a quick hurry. (I've had the pleasure of patching one before.)
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016   #6

Norwalk, Connecticut
Paddling Since: 1996
How about you get it wet and then decide about setting it up?

Don't let folks make you feel bad about getting a Scadden boat. I've read the same threads, it seems like people think of them as pool toys, but depending on how you plan to use it, the frameless boats can be a fine entry to river floating.

I had a Renegade for a couple years to supplement my drift boat, and while certainly not a whitewater machine, I rowed it through many class 2-3s with no issues. If whitewater is your goal, I would say move on to a real raft (I moved to a storm and will never look back). If you just want to explore some rivers and get into fish without spending $$ then I would run that Renegade to death and save the modification $ for a better rig.

-Geoff
Streamierfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It looks like a potato
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #8

Kuna, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2016
My goal is to be able to fish rivers up to Class II and maybe a Class III now and again. I have looked at the Maravia and Aire but both are too big! I am a fisherman, not a river runner. I need something that is portable, light weight, and doesn't require a second mortgage. Yes, I want my cake and eat it too.
BDSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #9

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too. Light weight, and portability come at a cost of durability, safety, and performance while out on the river. So just make sure you don't take to big of a slice of cake for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz