Drysuits and Footwear - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2017   #1

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Drysuits and Footwear

I recently purchased a drysuit to extend the rowing season and wonder what the best shoe is to wear. Of course, the summer Chacos aren't going to work and I see that Astral makes some shoes advertised for river runners. However, they look just like casual sneakers. Is there something else I should be looking for or are just an old pair of sneakers the way to go? Thanks in advance.

kayakerps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017   #2

Groveland, California
I've got a couple years on a pair of Astral Brewers and I've been happy with them. The soles are very sticky, much better than Chacos/tennis shoes for scrambling on wet rocks.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I guess it depends what you're looking for. Sneaker is probably fine if you don't care about grippy rubber on the sole and wearing it out for other uses. With the drysuit you don't have to worry that much about the shoe providing warmth (neoprene not necessary).

I've been pretty happy with the Astral offerings. The "sneaker" models differ in their use of sticky rubber, draining features and quick drying materials. They also offer the Rassler and Hiyak if you're looking for more support. Fiveten is another common goto for watersports.

I usually bump up a 1/2 size for use with the drysuit, but depending on how snug of fit you tend to use, you may be fine with your normal size.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017   #4

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I have the NRS Velocity water shoe. It is a high top but not too high so it has ankle support for hiking, it drains well and is reasonably warm but they do not dry fast at all.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I treat the booties on the drysuit like I would a pair of waders. I wear the NRS work boot which has a neoprene sock inside, or a pair of thin neoprene booties over the drysuit inside of wading boots. Sand in your shoe is a good way to get a hole in your drysuit boots. If you are not hiking/scouting a bunch then any neoprene boot/shoe will work. Just make sure your boots are not too tight. Like suggested go up a half size or size.

The neoprene boots/socks never dry out on a multi-day trip and are likely to be frozen. Soak them in the river to thaw them out so you can get them on!

A nice pair of wool socks inside is nice too!
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I rock the river sneakers over the dry suit.
I used to use the NRS crush but they didn't dry well and didn't last long. Then I used the Chaco river sneakers and they a meh rating. I just got the Astral TR1 mesh shoes, grippy, go on easy, DON'T collect sand, have really comfortable cushioning and unlike other laced river shoes don't loosen. They are really pricey but worth it.
I have a guide friend that uses old mesh running shoes an they seem to work fine if you don't care about grip.

I second the buying a half size up. I second the sand in the shoes concern.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017   #7

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I've been using these.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...ter-shoes-mens

They have seen about 60 river days this last year, and are holding up great. The traction is good, and having laces is unbeatable for keeping your shoes on in the water!
Old 10-10-2017   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
I still like the NRS ATB boots. They are warm, protect the suit and and are fast to get on and off. If I was more in the billygoat kayaking club I can see looking for something more like the astrals.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
5.10 water tennie. The bomb.

Five Ten | Water Tennie Men's Amphibious Shoe - Ocean Depths
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017   #10

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I love my Astral Loyaks (if you are deciding between two sizes, go smaller)
5.10's are supposedly solid.
Adidas has gotten into the game of river shoes
Vivobarefoot makes some neat river worthy shoes as well
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote