Dry Ice Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Dry Ice Question

Hey there. I have read through the thread on this topic, but cant post a question to the thread as it is older than a set number of days.

I am gearing for an 8 day Main Salmon trip (launch 8/2), but we are spending 4 days in Hoback/Jackson and a couple of days in Salmon on our way.

I'm pre-cooking and wrapping about a 14 and 1/2 zillion breakfast burritos and freezing them at home before the trip. I want these to keep frozen until day 3 of our Salmon trip (for roughly 7 days after they get placed in the cooler).

Because everything will be frozen when I put the burritos in the cooler and dont need to open it again for 7 days my plan was the following:

Load the bottom of cooler with paper wrapped dry ice/zip locked. Load said 14.5 zillion breakfast burritos, layer top with more sealed dry ice.

Want to keep things... well... dry and cold.

Will this keep the frozen BB well? Recommendations?

markfortcollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'd freeze the BB's into a big cube of ice.

I froze my boil-bag meals into a big 3-4gal cube of ice in a square trash can in my deep freeze. Added my friends' food for night 4 before we launched, dumped cubes around all of it. Didn't open it for 4 days, and had to chip the cubes out to get their food...my food was so cold, it refroze the cubes into bigger blocks.

I cooked on night 5 and had to chip down to get to my food. Having clean sealed food meant we had a LOT of cocktail ice on those nights!

It was so cold I didn't drain until the takeout on day 8. We simply consumed cocktail ice after our food was gone, and no drainable quantity ever really melted. (85F temps the week of the 4th)

Use some dry ice when you leave Salmon if you want to make it even colder. Start with cold food and use good cooler management (don't open, cover with a wet towel, and don't open it).
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Seems to me like you wouldn't want to seal the dry ice in a ziplock. As it sublimates wouldn't the sealed zip locks just explode inside your cooler?
Riverwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Maybe not EXPLODE, but definitely >POP!<

Saw/heard a butane lighter explode in a clear waterproof case in the sun while on our Main trip last month.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
174 breakfast burritos!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfortcollins View Post
Hey there. I have read through the thread on this topic, but cant post a question to the thread as it is older than a set number of days.

I am gearing for an 8 day Main Salmon trip (launch 8/2), but we are spending 4 days in Hoback/Jackson and a couple of days in Salmon on our way.

I'm pre-cooking and wrapping about a 14 and 1/2 zillion breakfast burritos and freezing them at home before the trip. I want these to keep frozen until day 3 of our Salmon trip (for roughly 7 days after they get placed in the cooler).

Because everything will be frozen when I put the burritos in the cooler and dont need to open it again for 7 days my plan was the following:

Load the bottom of cooler with paper wrapped dry ice/zip locked. Load said 14.5 zillion breakfast burritos, layer top with more sealed dry ice.

Want to keep things... well... dry and cold.

Will this keep the frozen BB well? Recommendations?
If I'm understanding your post correctly, that would be 174 of those bad boys, nice. Are they made with Chorizo, I think it gives the breakfast burritos a really unique taste, instead of just eggs and potatoes, kind of bland that way. Smothered with some cheese and salsa, yummy. I don't think dry ice would last that long. If your cooler has a really good seal I would leave the drain plug(expanding gas from dry ice) open or your cooled could implode, also the gasses could suffocate you if your in small place with no ventilation. I've never had good luck with dry ice except in Halloween drinks, the river not so much. Hope you find a solution. Have a nice float.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
The ziplock bag is a waste of time... dry ice turns into vapor as it warms, not liquid.
Sorry not much help... I can tell you 25 pounds of dry ice will keep two gallons of ice cream frozen solid for four days in a 20qt hard sided Yeti. Pretty expensive ice cream...
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
If your cooler has a really good seal I would leave the drain plug(expanding gas from dry ice) open or your cooled could implode, also the gasses could suffocate you if your in small place with no ventilation.
Duh, hadn't thought about the cooler seal. Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Waggin View Post
The ziplock bag is a waste of time... dry ice turns into vapor as it warms, not liquid.
Sorry not much help... I can tell you 25 pounds of dry ice will keep two gallons of ice cream frozen solid for four days in a 20qt hard sided Yeti. Pretty expensive ice cream...

Quote:
I've never had good luck with dry ice except in Halloween drinks, the river not so much
Here's an excellent discussion about ice:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...tml#post734969

Quote:
"First, let's stay you start with very cold solid ice from a deep freeze -- between zero and -10 degrees F. Let's also say you were smart and stuck a few blocks in your cooler a few days before as sacrificial ice to pre-chill the interior of the cooler. That ice melts faster.... Once your cooler is packed, you head out into the wide world that's above freezing. Heat makes its way into the cooler. The ice absorbs that heat and the ice warms up, but doesn't melt. This makes sense"

...so I would argue that you'd get the best performance out of your dry ice by making your existing ice block colder. Use the largest mass of ice possible, then make it colder. Use the dry ice to remove as much heat as possible from that large cold block before you leave, then it has a huge Delta-T (difference between its temp and 32F where it starts to melt). Every degree colder you can get that ice block is a degree of temperature gain later before melting.

It's all calories, or joules, or BTU's. Either get a small mass super cold -- [say 3 gallons at -10F], or get a big mass pretty cold [6 gallons of ice at 10F].
If you have to raise that 3 gallons by +42F or 6 gallons by +22F, it's the similar amount of heat added (or subtracted in teh first place)

They have the same "cooling power" (ability to absorb heat before melting)...or if you get the large block REALLY cold, then you have twice the ability to maintain ice and not water.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
What MT4Runner said! Thermal mass is your friend. Pre-cool the cooler, and if it's rotomolded, you might be able to do THAT with dry ice, or maybe after chilling it with water ice. Pack in your frozen food. You can fill in the gaps with ice cubes or crushed ice that you have chilled in the deep freeze so they aren't right at melting point. Then paper-wrapped dry ice ON TOP. The dry ice won't last more than a couple days at best, but it keeps your thermal mass.

I am having a hard time imagining that even the best cooler seals up well enough to create a bomb from the sublimation of dry ice. I bet the seals aren't THAT good. And the entire volume of the cooler isn't made of liquid that will expand.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've used dry ice a bunch and I leave a drain plug open slightly because if you dont, the pressure it creates is well...concerning. For me at least.

Go to any hospital's loading dock, ask them what they do with their dry ice they get 3x/week. They always throw it out. Get the guy on the docks number and they will hold it for you. I always get my dry ice from hospitals, its nothing for me to get 30lbs from 1/2 facilities. Places that do lots of spine are an easy target as they recieve a lot of biologics that are cryo frozen.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
markfortcollins, I see your in Fort Collins, that was a good call by theusualsuspect, go to General air supply Co. Tell. 970 221-0697, they sell dry ice to hospital's, private individuals etc. a little cheaper. 1918 Heath Parkway.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote