Dry Box Seat or Not - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-31-2018   #1

McMinnville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Dry Box Seat or Not

Looking to setup a new rig this winter and I'm trying to decide whether or not to get a seat mounted to the dry box in the rowers bay. My current raft has a low back tractor seat mounted to a cross bar and is comfortable. I've also rowed drift boats with a rope seat and no back and didn't mind that either.

So, what are the pros and cons of sitting directly on the dry box (with foam) vs mounting a seat on the dry box lid? The only two cons I can think of with tractor seat mount on the dry box are added cost and possibly more difficulty getting into the box. Thoughts?

Thanks

gjoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
I like sitting on foam on the box. It makes the area more versatile, in my opinion. I am always make sure to strap down a large, comfy dry bag right behind it so I can fully recline as desired. Probably boils down to personal preference though. I used a chair for a while and didn't like it. Felt too high and too restrictive.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Lower center of gravity and an abilty to easily shift your weight will make you much harder to flip.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018   #4
faja

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I had a seat mounted directly to my dry box for few years and didn't like. It made the lid of the dry box too heavy (and a bit of a safety hazard) and eventually I had to replace the dry box hinge. I switched to flip-seat and it works great.
fajawiebe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Think the main pro's and cons got covered above. I sit on my cooler with my paco pad on top, and works well, so think you could be real happy sittin on your dry box. Having a good dry bag for a back rest will eventually be key for ya, cause you never get any younger, and it is safer, cause it makes so you couldn't fall over backwords in a flip, or after to many beers!!
Make sure it is not some kind of foam that will fill with water and soak your ass, that would just suck....
Old 11-01-2018   #6

Seattle, Washington
My last boat had a high back seat on the dry box. It was comfortable enough but made it damn near impossible to open the dry box when there was gear loaded behind it. I ended up removing it. On my new boat I sit on a Paco with dry bags behind me and am as comfy as can be.
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018   #7

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjoll View Post
I've also rowed drift boats with a rope seat and no back and didn't mind that either.Thanks
How about a rope seat on your box? That way you would not be sitting in a puddle all day with a wet butt. I have a similar seat on my frame but I use strapping instead of rope because I think it is more comfortable.
Old 11-01-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
those rope seats actually look like decent garage projects.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018   #9

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I built a flip seat for around 17 bucks. I had always sat on a seat with my cat and really liked it. So far this flip seat has been awesome. Here is a link. https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...ipe-87618.html
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have been using a low back NRS seat on my cooler and this summer I finally took it off and ordered a foam/fabric dry box cover from Wetdreams River supply. I hated the seat, Its not comfortable and you can't relax in it on flatware. Also I find I like to change my seat position when rowing in powerful water vs flat water, If I was rowing in a rapid I would be sitting forward on the edge of the seat and that wasn't comfy either. Plus, If Im just floating and not rowing much I prefer to be able to lean back on a paco or my gear pile. I decided Im just not a seat guy.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote