Dry Box Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-09-2016   #1

Spokane, Washington
Dry Box Advice

I own two 14 foot rafts with 20 inch tubes. One is an NRS Expedition and the other is an Achilles. I am a kayaker who is fairly new to rafting and multi day trips, and I am about to purchase four new dry boxes (we've been renting the past few years). I plan to have one box in the rear, and one in front of each boat. I am interested in opinions on dry-box size. Thus far, I've narrowed the options to 37"L x 15"W x 16"h, or 38"L x 13"W x 18"H. The total is storage space between these two sizes is almost equal. I have received the following suggestions from others thus far: (1) The 16" boxes work better with 20" tubes. (2) The 13" depth (with the 18" high box), will allow a little more leg room for a front passenger. (3) Having the size height of dry boxes allows for a level surface for stacking. (4) Frontier Play makes a kitchen box that is 38" L x 13"W x 18" H, so I am considering that also, but not if I should stick with 16" tall boxes. (5) Should I get all the same size, or different sized boxes for the occasional odd shaped or size gear?

I will appreciate any input from my experienced raft guide friends on Mountain Buzz. Thanks in advance.

Cosanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm in a similar predicament. I am also wondering if the 13" wide boxes are really wide enough to comfortably use as a seat for multiple days in a row.
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #3

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
16" wide seems much roomier and fits larger items much easier. If both sizes work I'd get two of each it would be nice to be able to change rowing height by just swapping out a box.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016   #4

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
Dry Box Advice

I have a 14' otter and I run the 36x16x16 dry box from nrs in the stern end and the frontier play 38x18x13 kitchen box up in the bow end of my frame.

Having both sizes I my advice is to consider the size of the items you want to keep in the dry boxes.

The kitchen box is at the bow end and makes unloading it at camp easier.

My cooler and the kitchen box are both 18" tall and sit at the same height. I usually put a paco pad over the front to make a giant seat to bridge the narrower 13" box width.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1465530004.616166.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	11721
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarrel View Post
I have a 14' otter and I run ...the frontier play 38x18x13 kitchen box up in the bow end of my frame... I usually put a paco pad over the front to make a giant seat to bridge the narrower 13" box width.
Attachment 11721
Was the 13" wide box not really wide enough as a stand alone seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarrel View Post
My cooler and the kitchen box are both 18" tall and sit at the same height. I usually put a paco pad over the front to make a giant seat to bridge the narrower 13" box width.
Attachment 11721
How far above the frame rail does everything sit in your setup?
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016   #6

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
I occasionally use the 13" box as a seat with out the cooler and don't have any issues with it being too small. Typically if I'm bringing the kitchen box i'm also bringing the cooler that sits next to it.

I'm not sure how far above the frame rail everything sits but I would estimate it at 6 or 7 inches... I put 2 scepter water jugs on the frame boards next to the cooler which are at the same height as the rest of the gear. They are 6.5" tall when laying on their side.
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
FWIW, my passenger gets to spread out on a table w/paco pad that sits on the frame over a drop bag -- she has room to chill (happy wife!) and a lower center of gravity than on top of a drybox or cooler. So, for multi-days, I have only 1 drybox (and a cooler) on my 14' raft w/20" tubes. Drybox tabs are handy (if you know the right height). I went with a 13" wide drybox thinking that I needed to be conservative setting up a 14 with 4 bays (counting the "cockpit" as a bay) -- maybe could have gone wider, but I'm happy with it. Maybe I am over-concerned about center of gravity, but I also went with 16" high (vs. 18") for my rowing from the drybox. I have had no issue with storage space (have a stitches and stuff "everything bag" in back and I have side "shelves" for strapping other items). Maybe consider the largest item you may want inside the drybox? I have a 2-burner partner stove that fits fine.
I ain't no pro, so take all this with a grain.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016   #8

NE, Oregon
I'd go with uniformity and interchangeability. I really like when all boxes and cooler are the same height. Don't discount dropbag storage, seems like for every 2-3 dry boxes one drop bag is nice to have.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote