dont know anything advice appreciated - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-31-2017   #1

rainier, United States
Paddling Since: 2017
dont know anything advice appreciated

I would like to purchase some cataraft tubes and start some memories with my family. But i need some answers first. First off i plan on small easy runs first and probably always. I would like the cataraft to double as a fishing rig. Will i be able to deflate the pontoons and assemble a cataraft at the river? I would like to take three people is a 16' cat going to be able to handle that weight (600lbs)? I was thinking rocky mountain pontoons as a first rig, is there a problem with the brand i should know? As for the frame i am a seasoned fabricator with tube bending, forming and aluminium welding capabilities but any advice on dimensions would be great. Any books or class recommendations on safety? My sons are older and would go by themselves/with friends so safety is very important. What is good to have for safety gear(adult size)? Thanks, Matt

Mattpraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017   #2
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Why do you want a cat instead of a raft?
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017   #3

Ridgway, Colorado
Rigging a 14'-16' cat at the river is going to get old REAL fast. You're going to need a trailer. My 15' cat takes like 20 straps just to rig the tubes to the frame! It would take me 2+ hrs to rig for an overnighter.
ONTOH, you can rig a SB with 4 straps.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017   #4

rainier, United States
A cataraft is a far better fishing platform(it will double as a fishing boat), price is cheaper with me building the frame, and i figured it would pack better on my small offroad jerp trailer. If i was overnighting i would transport inflated/assembled. Matt
Old 06-01-2017   #5
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
If you are going to use it much, trailer it. Day trips get real old having to rig and de-rig. You also get the spontaneity factor, much easier to get up and go at the last minute. I think a 14 would be fine for your people load and requirements, and I like the RMR brand. I have friends with RMR cats and round boats that do well and have lasted well too.
Old 06-01-2017   #6

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Rocky Mountain 16 foot tubes will work great for a 3 man fishing cat. 14 feet gets crowded fast. 16 feet with a 10 foot frame works good for three people.
When you build your frame just pull up some specs on popular frames and copy them. You can give your front fisherman 2.5 to 3 feet back from the front yoke, The rower seat can be at around 6 feet. The rear seat can be clear on the back yoke.

As for the raft vs cat argument you are correct. The cat is a better fishing platform and it is much more forgiving for a new person to learn on. Plus one person can move a 16 foot cat around at the house. If you were to buy a 14 foot heavy raft, RMR they are hard to deal with by your self.

Safety equipment, proper life jackets, throw rope; practice with your throw rope. Stand in the yard and pick a target and throw. If you are going to have a rope you better have a knife.
Order you tubes and then build your frame. You can see how much flat space is on top to maximize your frame length. Good day and good luck
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017   #7

rainier, United States
Thank you curtis and learch. Matt
Old 06-01-2017   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpraska View Post
A cataraft is a far better fishing platform(it will double as a fishing boat), price is cheaper with me building the frame, and i figured it would pack better on my small offroad jerp trailer. If i was overnighting i would transport inflated/assembled. Matt
Have you fished from a Cat before? I like fishing from a raft much more. You can stand and lean into the tubes even without a waist brace. And I think of the one or two flies that you drop or that shoot out of the fly box when you open it, or the beer you drop or......

I guess I am just a raft guy. Cats are really fun, I just don't think they are better than a raft for fishing.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
"A cataraft is a far better fishing platform(it will double as a fishing boat)"

I highly disagree with this. If a cat was really a better fishing platform than all the fishing guides would use them, instead they all use smaller rafts (12-13' aires or similar). A 16' cat is a pig on the water and it just can't hold in the small eddies and be precise enough to be an ideal fishing boat. i have two good friends that are professional guides and both use rafts, one even sold his big cats last year to get a smaller fishing raft.

Also, you mentioned a family, you didn't say anything about kids but if you do have kids a raft is much safer. A cat is high off the water with nothing to hold anyone in or on the boat. If (more like when) you run some rapids you may want to have little kids pretty low in the raft so that they won't fall out. Rafts are also easier to rig and de-rig although a trailer is pretty much mandatory for me at least. A Cat is cheaper and they are nice for certain things but a raft is simply better for fishing or families.

I'd buy a used set up fort sure, try to get a turn key package and then customize it after that.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017   #10

rainier, United States
Thanks treswright. On the fishing. Your talking about floating a cataraft vs SB. I would be using it on lakes, motoring on large rivers, anchoring in low current. All things a cataraft is better for. Thanks, Matt