Dolores River Section Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-24-2017   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Dolores River Section Questions

Hello everyone on the Buzz. As you can tell from my mileage marker I'm brand new here, but not new to loving the thrill of running whitewater. My groups tend to love both big and technical water and have a good amount of experience. As we've never run the Dolores before, I'm seeking some opinions as well as any knowledge about certain rapids on the Dolores. Due to time constraints my group is only considering the run from either Bradfield to Bedrock, or Bedrock to Dewey Bridge. I like the idea of running the bottom a little more due to idea that the longer shuttle might deter some people from the gateway down section. How accurate is this theory in that there may be less use? My concern though, is the lack of relevant info I can find on current beta around the chicken raper/stateline rapid. I've heard speak of it possibly unrunnable in rafts, and just downright nasty. Apparently, a diversion damn has been built above or in this rapid? I would love to hear of any trip reports from this spring, on this rapid in particular. Below chicken raper, would anyone recommend scouting Rockslide Rapid? If I cant find enough beta or reports from gateway down, my group may lean to running the upper sections which contain Ol' Snaggletooth himself. My concern with this rapid in particular is, how narrow is the rock dodge line and are wide 16' rafts able to cleanly run it? How easy is it to identify the Scout for these rapids? Are certain water levels to big? Am I missing any other rapids that may advise a scout in either section?

A few other concerns I have are; according to the AW page, bedrock has seen some reports of damage to vehicles. Who if anyone, can confirm this claim as it seems AW hasn't had an update to the Dolores info section breakdowns in some 6/7 years? Is this still a legitimate concern we should be having? Any recommendations on companies who run shuttle for these sections?

Lastly, I'll preemptively throw out a huge thanks to all of you who keep our river community alive and informed with this forum. I appreciate all the comments and opinions you're willing to contribute to my inquiry.

Advertisement