Does this seem like a good deal? 14 ft. star packge - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-28-2013   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Does this seem like a good deal? 14 ft. star packge

This will be my first summer in 6 years not working on the river, so its time to get my own setup. Unfortunately I still live on a rafting guide's budget, so a nice new setup isn't really an option. I live in Durango, and am looking for something around 14 ft. Just big enough to run things like Cataract, Westwater, Yampa, etc, but small enough for smaller rivers and town runs on the Animas.

This guy has this boat listed on CL in the Phoenix area. He says its about 10 years old. The frame doesn't look like the greatest for multi-days, the cooler looks cheap, and it has no thwarts. Also, I have not heard very good reviews about Star rafts. Certainly don't see them in commercial use. He says it was always stored inside rolled, but 10 year old glued PVC scares me a bit.

I may be able to get him down on price, but still wondering if you guys think it would be worth it. I'm leaning towards holding out and saving to buy a good hypalon setup that would last forever, but getting the itch bad to be on the river, and I'll be working as a wildland firefighter instead of a guide this year. Here is the link to the ad:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/3704186336.html

engine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Its a lot of stuff but I gona say not so much a good deal. The issues I see are in the valves and just over all age. You are going to have a hard time finding replacement valves for that boat and I'm am sure they will need some attention in the next 2 year if not now! Looks like one is already missing a hard to find cap. If your guiding you might want thwarts for your customers, and a raft of that age requires tlc. That tlc adds up in $. I too would be leaning on holding out.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
What kind of valves are they? I couldn't tell. Maybe you have some knowledge.

I think it's not a bad deal. 14 foot boat and all that stuff??

Pretty sure you can into a brand new 14 foot RMR for the low 2ks. I tried one last summer and I thought it was an awesome boat. I still have my Maravia but I liked the RMR.

The reason I am asking about the valves is that I am having new Leafields put in my Maravia. So I will have a few back if they are the same. A fellow up in Bozeman has spoken for two but that leaves two more.

While at Maravia I noticed they are carrying RMR at Cascade now. Surprising to me as they are owned by Maravia. So I think RMR is a cut above the PVC China built boats you usually see. And they are welded.

FWIW.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013   #4
Cpt. No Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
What kind of valves are they? I couldn't tell. Maybe you have some knowledge.

99% sure that's an AD-2. My first boat was a star just like that one. It was a good boat and all. But with boat like Rocky Mountain out there, I would say save a few more bucks.
Old 03-28-2013   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Well then that would be the one according to google. It said AD-2 is the one used in Maravia before 2000. It has a pain in the ass fairly flush cap and then it is far enough down in that it always seems to get a little water in the entrance to the valve. So you have to blow it out before pushing the pump in.

Edit to add:

Oops maybe not. AD-1 maybe?? Mine has six phillips screws that hold it in. Ad-2 has a hex cap screw

Mine is below not a great detail on the valve but you can see it.

Old 03-28-2013   #6
Cpt. No Scout

Not 100% sure but those don't look to be ad-2 valves. I don't have any experience with ad-1s. Sorry..

PS, I have never seen oar towers like those. nice!
Old 03-28-2013   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
Not 100% sure but those don't look to be ad-2 valves. I don't have any experience with ad-1s. Sorry..

PS, I have never seen oar towers like those. nice!
Cy Wort before he started Cambridge Welding I think. That frame was sold to the Crabtree's when they ran Middle Fork River Tours and hails from the mid to late 80s.

/endofthreaddrift.
Old 03-28-2013   #8

SLC, Utwah
I have a 95 star 16' very similar to this. This one appears to be painted. Mine is grey. It has been a good boat although i just upgraded this year. I dont think it is missing any valve covers, if it like mine they are military valves and very easy to replace. The pics aren't good enough to get a feel for the frame. Star boats are glued pvc but the only pvc issues i have had are with the d-rings. I have reglued quite a few of them. With all the extra gear i would say its an alright deal.
AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
I have a friend who's older Star came apart at the seams. It seems like the older glued PVC boats tend to do this. I came across a similar deal..... several years ago, except the boat was an 80's white Maravia. The boat seams totally fell apart but I ended up with a lot of gear I still use to this day. Personally.....I'd pass on it.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #10

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
pretty sure it has leafield valves. get eight hundred- dollar bills and have at it.
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote