Does anybody still make a kitchen box? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2019   #1

Does anybody still make a kitchen box?

Was just shopping the usual suspects--Cambridge, Cascade, SOTAR, etc. I'm seeing plenty of dry boxes, but nutin with the removable legs.

KipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
FrontierPlay has one: https://frontierplay.com/products/kitchen-dry-box

Found this as well, if you just feel like spending money. Looks kind of cool, though, and comes with a Partner stove: https://adventure-ready.com/store/ka...itchen-k120pf/
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
FrontierPlay has one: https://frontierplay.com/products/kitchen-dry-box

Found this as well, if you just feel like spending money. Looks kind of cool, though, and comes with a Partner stove: https://adventure-ready.com/store/ka...itchen-k120pf/
Thanks, Sean. I didn't even consider the Frontierplay. They're...no nice way to say it, they're cheap crap.

The other one looks amazing, and would be awesome in the van, but it sure don't look waterproof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Madcow has one, $810: Aluminum Dry Boxes & Custom Welding | Bozeman, MT | Mad Cow Metal Works
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipG View Post
Thanks, Sean. I didn't even consider the Frontierplay. They're...no nice way to say it, they're cheap crap.

The other one looks amazing, and would be awesome in the van, but it sure don't look waterproof!
Beg to differ on the Frontierplay. They may be cheaper then others, but they are a great value and far from crappy. The latches and handles could be more sturdy, but the box itself works as well or better then others. The double seal on them is superior to many of the more expensive ones.

IMHO, they are the reasonable one and the rest are just overly expensive. Frontierplay has just decided not to play into the "if its made for rafting double the price" thing.

That said, if you can't stand to spend a reasonable amount of money on a decent product... calling any of the drybox manufacturers and asking them to make you one would probably be the way to go.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Beg to differ on the Frontierplay.
You don't need to beg. A difference of opinion is perfectly acceptable.
But tell me, if "the latches and handles could be more sturdy", does it really work as well or better? If so, why should the latches and handles be better? Broken latches was a big part of what formed my opinion.
Old 01-12-2019   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
They function just fine...they are just on the cheaper side. I haven't had any of them cease to function on the 4 boxes I own from them (a kitchen box, one of their 37" boxes and two of the personal size boxes). A few have rust on them, but still function just fine. If I had my way I'd still like something a bit sturdier and made of stainless steel...but they do just fine. The handles on the kitchen box still work, but no longer stop at 90 degrees. You can still pick the box up, but its a tiny bit more uncomfortable. Not sure what you did to break a latch, but my latches don't show any sign of actually ceasing to function.

The primary reason for a dry box is to keep things dry and secure and the Frontierplay boxes perform as well or better then most dryboxes I've seen in that regard. I've had my kitchen box since 2016 and it has seen around 300 days of river time. I'll admit I haven't flipped so can't say if its still completely 100% water tight, but it has never let in any water in normal use.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter all that much to me whether you get one or not...but for me...its not worth $200 to 500 more to have some slightly nicer latches and handles. Easy enough to just go buy new sturdier ones and install them for $50 or less.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
They function just fine...they are just on the cheaper side. I haven't had any of them cease to function on the 4 boxes I own from them (a kitchen box, one of their 37" boxes and two of the personal size boxes). A few have rust on them, but still function just fine. If I had my way I'd still like something a bit sturdier and made of stainless steel...but they do just fine. The handles on the kitchen box still work, but no longer stop at 90 degrees. You can still pick the box up, but its a tiny bit more uncomfortable. Not sure what you did to break a latch, but my latches don't show any sign of actually ceasing to function.

The primary reason for a dry box is to keep things dry and secure and the Frontierplay boxes perform as well or better then most dryboxes I've seen in that regard. I've had my kitchen box since 2016 and it has seen around 300 days of river time. I'll admit I haven't flipped so can't say if its still completely 100% water tight, but it has never let in any water in normal use.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter all that much to me whether you get one or not...but for me...its not worth $200 to 500 more to have some slightly nicer latches and handles. Easy enough to just go buy new sturdier ones and install them for $50 or less.
Thanks, you may have convinced me
Old 01-13-2019   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
If you live in Colorado, I'd go check out Down River in Denver. Zach helped me design a kitchen box to my liking and knew things about the design I had never thought of. The price was in the $800 range. I couldn't be happier with it and they had it completed on the day they said they would. I can tell it will last me the rest of my life.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #10

Fulford, Colorado
Ive had great luck with my Frontier play kitchen box, just ditched the hanging shelf for it because it took up too much room.
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote