Mountain Buzz banner

DIY oar sleeves

7K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  MT4Runner 
#1 ·
I need some oar sleeves for a quick day trip. Don't have a boat shop close, and no time to drive. Any thoughts on what sort of homemade diy options I could MacGyver with at home materials? I was thinking of using some rubber I had left from vibration isolation and duct tape, or maybe use some pvc pipe and slip it on and duct tape. It's flat water for one day. What say you?

#8 ·
The duct tape will probably start disintegrating almost immediately. I wrapped mine with 3/16 poly and then epoxied the ends to keep it from fraying or loosening.

Took less than half an hour per shaft and I am now something like 60 days in and expect them to go another several years. Easy to do in the kitchen with the shaft over the back of a couple of chairs and I didn't even get to beer #2 before I was finished.

Permanent doesn't have to mean slow and fast doesn't mean temporary.

#13 ·
I've just seen polypro get really brittle and splintery with UV exposure...but I guess if they're only out when in use, it would be a pretty bomber wrap.

Go self-bailing for sure if you want to use it in whitewater. Mine's self-bailing except for the passenger footwells.

#18 ·
MontanaLaz;748889 Dory? To self-bail or not?[/QUOTE said:
Both my Dories self bail, Bears Ears has a pump that drains the entire boat, front and rear footwells too, Ashkii, my newest little boat drains the oarsman's footwell. If you don't make it bailing the first go around, you'll be modifying it later !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.