DIY oar sleeves - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
 
Blue River, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 86
DIY oar sleeves

I need some oar sleeves for a quick day trip. Don't have a boat shop close, and no time to drive. Any thoughts on what sort of homemade diy options I could MacGyver with at home materials? I was thinking of using some rubber I had left from vibration isolation and duct tape, or maybe use some pvc pipe and slip it on and duct tape. It's flat water for one day. What say you?

cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
 
Salida, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Do you use open oarlocks?
watersarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
 
Salida, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Bicycle tubes make a good oar to frame attachment that still has some maneuverability. Criss cross them around the oar tower/frame and the oar until it has the tension you need and just tie the ends in a square knot. Take a spare in case you miss judge and one snaps.
watersarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
 
Blue River, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 86
Yup. Open oar locks
cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
 
k2andcannoli's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 859
Heat gun and thin wall pvc pipe. Slit the pipe, trim excess, heat then wrap.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,459
What's wrong with rope wrap or webbing wrap????

150' of solid braid 3/16" nylon from the hardware store will give you an 18" wrap.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
 
Blue River, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
What's wrong with rope wrap or webbing wrap????

150' of solid braid 3/16" nylon from the hardware store will give you an 18" wrap.
I was thinking quick and temporary. Maybe rope and webbing with duct tape. Doing right has to wait until after the weekend
cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Never enough free time
 
Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 277
The duct tape will probably start disintegrating almost immediately. I wrapped mine with 3/16 poly and then epoxied the ends to keep it from fraying or loosening.

Took less than half an hour per shaft and I am now something like 60 days in and expect them to go another several years. Easy to do in the kitchen with the shaft over the back of a couple of chairs and I didn't even get to beer #2 before I was finished.

Permanent doesn't have to mean slow and fast doesn't mean temporary.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
The duct tape will probably start disintegrating almost immediately. I wrapped mine with 3/16 poly and then epoxied the ends to keep it from fraying or loosening.

Took less than half an hour per shaft and I am now something like 60 days in and expect them to go another several years. Easy to do in the kitchen with the shaft over the back of a couple of chairs and I didn't even get to beer #2 before I was finished.

Permanent doesn't have to mean slow and fast doesn't mean temporary.
Make a serving mallet and your wraps will be even tighter.

It doesn't have to be as fancy as this one
Shoeless Musings: Serving you the perfect oar wrap!

I had hand-wrapped oars forever, but I'm super impressed by how tight (and firm) my wraps have been since making a small mallet.

This was white nylon with wood stain applied after wrapping:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8144.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	39195  
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Never enough free time
 
Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Make a serving mallet and your wraps will be even tighter.

It doesn't have to be as fancy as this one
Shoeless Musings: Serving you the perfect oar wrap!

I had hand-wrapped oars forever, but I'm super impressed by how tight (and firm) my wraps have been since making a small mallet.

This was white nylon with wood stain applied after wrapping:
I've used that exact serving mallet. He has been a good friend for years (I actually served as the officiant for his wedding) and lives down the street from me. He has lofted plans for a modified Briggs dory that I am seriously considering building.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.