Dirt Bike for Shuttle - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2014   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dirt Bike for Shuttle

So I am looking in to buying a cheap dirt bike/pit bike for shuttles to just throw on the trailer. I don't want to have to worry about finding someone else to drive another vehicle just for shuttling. I have seen some guys up by Rancho Del Rio, State Bridge area that have had small 100cc dirt bikes on their trailer, and it totally makes sense. Does anyone out there use this method instead of 2 trucks? I have found a few guys with 100cc dirt bikes here in Denver willing to part for $300(ish) for relatively new bikes. Lemme know, and if you have pics of it set up on the trailer I would love to see those as well. Thanks.

climber-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
For multi-day trips a dirt bike is nice, but for solo day trips I just ride a bicycle shuttle, especially here in the Ark Valley....probably get 20% of my river days that way...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I just a 1984 Suzuki 125cc for that reason and I'm either going to get the neck of my trailer extended and then put a rail on he neck or get a hitch installed on the front of my truck and run it up there. I think it's a great idea I'm going to run shuttle b4 the trip so I don't have alcohol on my breath.
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014   #4

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff N' Wett View Post
I just a 1984 Suzuki 125cc for that reason and I'm either going to get the neck of my trailer extended and then put a rail on he neck or get a hitch installed on the front of my truck and run it up there. I think it's a great idea I'm going to run shuttle b4 the trip so I don't have alcohol on my breath.

Yeah, drop the boat off at put in. Drive the truck/trailer/dirt bike to take out. Lock up. Drive the dirt bike back to the put in. Lock that up(some how). Then be good to go. Pick the dirt bike up on the way out.
Old 02-06-2014   #5

crow, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
We do all the time in oregon. Hitch carrier on the back of the 4runner. Most of our kayak runs are 5-10 miles and shuttle on gravel logging roads. xr 100 or any small bike is great. Works great much quicker than bicycle headin uphill in rain-snow. However more than six inches of snow on the road becomes much less fun. He who drinks bootie beer also gets honor of riding crappy little motorcycle in drysuit to get truck.
jdebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #6

Here was my little project I made from a kit. Mounted a two prong garage hook on the front of my trailer to put it on. (second pic) Light and easy, I didn't want to bother with something I needed to register/insure and all that. Essentially it's just a scooter with some pedal assist for steep hills.

I just use a bike lock to lock it up, really depends on the run if I do the shuttle first or after, if I pass the take-out or the put in first on the way there.

Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #7
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
...............or you could go alternative........................

seriously, I think Rancho or maybe one of the outfitters offer round trip services for the Gore. Ark should be no issue, especially is you have nice legs or beer. Even north Platte shouldn't be much of an issue if you plan.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #8

Denver, Colorado
^^ No Picture.
Old 02-06-2014   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post

Ark should be no issue, especially is you have nice legs or beer.

It generally takes me just as long to hitch hike as ride a bike shuttle on the Ark, but where it really comes into its prime is places like the Taylor Park run where you ride your shuttle on the Gunnison Spur of the Colorado Trail and Westwater/Ruby-HT where you ride Kokopelli's Trail.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You never know I was stuck at numbers take out for ever once in a rain storm and finally got picked up by a commercial school bus. I'd rather rip tits on a dirtbike than be stuck in a bus full of guides!