Dinosaur Monument Updated pfd Regs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2019   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Dinosaur Monument Updated pfd Regs?

I was looking over the 2019 Regs for my upcoming trip and noticed what I believe to be a change in the way PFDs are regulated in the monument. I'm fairly certain that I remember the rule where you had to have a spare for every boat. I remember because it was a bit of a pain in the ass to have to round up 6 extra type 3,5 jackets for my trips. However this years language seems different and what I would consider more consistent with other river trip regulations in the West. Has anyone else noticed this change?

"A.Life Preservers and RegulationsEach participant MUST have a serviceable U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation device (PFD). At least one extra PFD must be carried for every 10 persons on the trip (i.e. a trip with 1 to 10 participants must have at least one extra PFD, and a trip with 11-20 participants must have at least two extra PFDs). The PFDs must be maintained in good and serviceable condition in compliance with the USCG standards AND MUST BE WORN AND FASTENED PROPERLY AT ALL TIMES WHILE ON THE RIVER (except from Cove Campsite to Rainbow Park boat ramp on the Green River). All PFDs must have a USCG approved label stating the PFD is designed for whitewater rafting, canoeing, rescue, sailing, paddling, and/or kayaking. GENERAL BOATING, ACTION SPORTS, FISHING, AND SKI VESTS ARE PROHIBITED. The PFDs may not have any holes, rips, tears, broken/repaired buckles, or broken/repaired zippers, and must be appropriately sized for each person."

Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I just found a Reg booklet from 2017. It states the following as required equipment. So it appears that this reg has changed in the last year or so.

Spare PFDs
Spare PFDs must be Type I, Type III, or Type V of an appropriate size and weight for the potential users, which includes spare PFDs for children. Each oar boat, dory, or paddleboat must carry a spare PFD. In addition, if there are small craft, one spare PFD is required for every five small craft (e.g., six small craft requires two spare PFDs). Spare PFDs for small craft may be carried on support boats.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote