Diamond vs Pearce ferry take outs - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-14-2015   #1

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Diamond vs Pearce ferry take outs

The last time I ran the Grand I took out at Diamond, but I hear that Pearce ferry is worth blowing down to by even maybe doing a night float. Better road, better take out, no fees. Just want to gather some opinions. Any thoughts?

fronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2015   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Pearce Pros: Better road, no fees, easier shuttle. Can be done in similar timeframe as taking out at Diamond.

Cons: Not really much for good camps below Separation. Many people are ready to be done by the time you get to Diamond.

I personally like the night float and taking out at Pearce, and if somebody's going to drive my truck to a takeout, I'd much rather that be Pearce. It's not a smooth road, but it's much better than the DC road. If it's a full painless private where MOE, PRO, etc will be picking you up anyway, do Diamond.

Here's a good read if you're considering the Night Float option. Huck Finn Thread - Nightfloat.

I've done it twice. First time we were early. I can't remember if it's cause of the high water (25kcfs constant on that trip), or if we just passed/left Separation early. I do remember finding the last 2 shooters on the trip on the barge in the dark, and we got to Pearce Ferry in the dark and slept before taking out. Second time we followed Brady's instructions pretty closely, and it got light about the time we got to Grand Wash Cliffs. That trip was a high flow experiment trip, but by the time we were taking out, I recall normal (10-14?) flows.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
+1 on night float
UTMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
well, if you like the sound of helicopters, and I mean relentless apocalypse now style war zone helicopters, you might like going past diamond.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015   #5

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have not enjoy the drive out of Diamond. It's the opposite of being on the Grand. If you have the time keep floating!
Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
well, if you like the sound of helicopters, and I mean relentless apocalypse now style war zone helicopters, you might like going past diamond.
At night? I don't think so...
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yeah, in the daytime there are a shit ton of helicopters. Not so much at night though.

Really the boating below Diamond isn't awesome, but for me, all things considered, I'd probably choose Pearce 9/10 times

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I just took out at Pearce for the first time. It was on a commercial that I was rowing bags for. I was surprised that 2 privates took out there as well instead of going to Pearce. I think I would choose Pearce always over diamond and night float personally. I have done that a few times now.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #9
"Just Read and Run Baby!"

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
The first 20 or 30 miles below Diamond is worth the Pearce Ferry take-out; including Travertine Falls, crazy currents in the narrow canyon, Killer Fang Rapid. The last 20 or 30 miles isn't; limited camping, 60 foot silt banks, helicopter tours, Grand Canyon Skywalk. The night-float is a good option for this last stretch.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #10

I recommend Pearce, especially during monsoon season. We did a trip this summer, arranging to take out at Diamond. However, the day before our take-out day, we learned that a huge flood wiped out the road. So, in the last 24 hours of our trip, we ended up going 80+ miles, including a night float to Pearce. If I were to plan a future trip, I would plan to take 16 days to get to Diamond, camp somewhere below, spend the next day doing the 230 rapids (which are fun), Travertine falls, having dinner at Separation, barging the boats together, and float out to Pearce at night. Take turns at the oars, while others sleep. Bring big flood lights so you can see (strong head lamps don't really do the job), and make sure people have warm things to sleep in (it gets pretty cold, even at the end of July). I would probably never plan to take out at Diamond again.
H2Obug is offline   Reply With Quote