Desolation Recap - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-22-2017   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Desolation Recap

I've been doing a little recap of my Sept. 13 Deso trip. Thought I would would show it to anyone interested. I was the permit holder and TL.

1. 10 people after three others bailed out at the last minute. No conflicts or serious drunkenness.
2. 2500 cfs is plenty of water but current too slow for a 5 day trip even though we motored the top 25 miles. We were still pushing it every day to get into camp at a reasonable time.
3. There were plenty of camp sites. Only one or two that were hard to get to at that water level. It started to get crowded as we caught up with other, slower, groups.
4. Did not see any bears or sigh of a bear. No bugs at all - never even got the DEET out of my day bag.
5. Mixed weather. Sunny and 80ish day 1-2. HUGE thunderstorm the afternoon on day three. Miserable rain for over half of day four. Never had to camp in the rain. It didn't freeze but had plenty of dew in the mornings.
6. Cost pp was $150.00. It paid for the permit, food, and shuttle. There was some cash left to pay part of the bill at Ray's.

Money: When I got the permit I confirmed by paying for one person. I put out the word and got plenty of interest. I thought the group was going to get too big! I asked for a commitment of at least $30 per person, no later than 2 months before launch, the sooner the better. Final payment, $120, within one month of launch. I paid the full permit one month out. No $30.00 refund at that point and no refund at all to those who bailed out two weeks out, when I started to by food and supplies. I put the payments into my personal bank account but had a small spreadsheet to keep track. It worked out just fine and we had money left for food at Ray's after the trip. When I was the TL on a Grand trip I opened a separate checking account

smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement