Desolation mid-April - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-15-2018   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
Desolation mid-April

Hoping to pick up a cancellation for Desolation Canyon mid to late April. Looks like historically the mean is around 6000cfs. Anyone out there have some good intel on the snowpack this year for the areas/basins that contribute to the flow? Also any additional beta from those that have floated that time of year? As always thanks!

CCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Its a good time to do it since the bugs aren't out yet. Be prepared for cold rain and snow, or it could be sunny and warm. It'll be on the lower end this year, but Deso is always easy and gets easier and faster with more water. If it gets really high(which it won't) Coal Creek and Joe Hutch are worth a look.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Dun been gone

Looks like April 10th is the latest date still available.

The cancellations were posted sometime before 3:30 AM MST last night (3/16 at an 'undisclosed time') when I was up feeding my 7 month old and happened to pick up an unloved June 11th launch. The rest are already taken. Very occasionally there is an upside to extreme parenting sleep deprivation...
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018   #4

summit, Colorado
You did get lucky, LofC. I checked at 10:15 MST last night, and all the May dates I was hoping for were already gone. I think the "undisclosed" time was midnight EST.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #5

Cedar city, Utah
I think the "undisclosed" time was midnight EST.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app[/QUOTE]

They became available right at 10 mountain time. After getting hosed in all the lotteries and releases so far, I was super excited to get the date I was looking for.
DeeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018   #6

Missoula, Montana
Thanks for the replies. Picked up a April 18th launch. Just trying to predict what the flow will be, having a hard time finding the current snowpack to guesstimate what it will be that week. Hoping for higher flows as lower sounds like more of a challenge and I’ll have the family along.
Old 03-18-2018   #7

North Central, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1998
Should be pretty steady dam release and some influence from run-off. There is good water above flaming gorge, but it's basically an average water year there. Well below average for the other basins that influence the run. I would guess somewhere between 4 .5 and 6K for your high flow. Warmer temps could push that up. Median daily stats from an 118 year period shows flows from about 4.5K to 8.5K during the period you will be on the water. Statistically you should see increasing flows as your trip progresses. I've only run it lower water ( 2.5K) and it's not too challenging. Have fun. Should be a good one.

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/n...ate=2017-04-30
Dsuth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018   #8

North Central, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1998
This BOR map provides a pretty good reference as to snowpack. I have noticed some of the basins show percentage of annual average and others show average of snowpack to date ( where the average snowpack is at that point in time).

https://www.usbr.gov/UC_SnowMap/
Dsuth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018   #9

Missoula, Montana
Thanks for the reply, exactly the info I was looking for. Unfortunately........I had to cancel the trip, so April 18th should show up as available if anyone is looking
Old 03-19-2018   #10

SLC, Utwah
It's showing available now.

If I wasn't the person holding the other permit for that day I'd pick it up ASAP.
AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote