Deso October trip advice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Deso October trip advice?

I have a permit for early Oct. and I have been doing some research (reading old posts) and just wanted to get a few opinions from all you buzz' experts! Will be doing Sand Wash to Swasey's Beach

I know water will be low and slow, but how hard will it be to do in 6 days? Will this leave some time for side hikes and all that, or will I be rowing my ass off the whole time?

Also I will be taking a 14' raft and there will only be two of us on the boat, will I run into any problems with a 14' at these levels?

Any other advice will be appreciated! Thanks

Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015   #2

cedar city, Utah
14-er should be manageable. We ran out 18 foot bucket last year with no issue, but it was a bit higher than predicted this year.

Winds were less on our trip than summer runs so 6 days is feasible. We ran it in 7 days and were tired but had a blast. I wouldn't recommend any less than 6 days as day length is noticeably shorter. The benefit is you should have plenty of camps to choose from even if you run later into late in the day. We only saw two other groups on our trip. We did long hikes into several canyons and to the Space Cube within that time limit.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
What is the Space Cube?
maschwee61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015   #4

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
the space cube is a portal to
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Just got back from that same trip. 14' is fine. You'll be rowing a lot doing it in 6. Wouldn't hurt to scout Three Fords.
ianw42084208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Try and start early and cover as many miles as possible the first day, it will allow more leasure time the rest of the trip.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Try and start early and cover as many miles as possible the first day, it will allow more leasure time the rest of the trip.
Or bring a motor and "hike when you like".
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #8

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
^ Support

There are more camps at low water in that first twenty miles but they don't offer many of the classic Deso quality or hiking opportunity. You will have the ramp to yourself and rigging the day/might before allows you to push off early on launch day.

Looks like we have to cancel our week long anniversary single boat trip this year.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I did a single boat trip last Sept. We did 7 days and it was perfect. We motored from the put in all the way to Jack creek and snagged the second camp for night one. It was such a nice camp, but then again so are all of them. We hiked up rock creek and range creek, both were awesome. I was glad I had a motor, we motored a little below rabbit creek when the wind picked up and it made it really nice to get to a camp before it got to late.

I remember a group that was supposed to launch the day before us couldn't because their shuttle didn't arrive until nightime. So the ranger let them launch the next day in front of us. They left at like 6:00 am. We left at around 11:00 and passed them maybe 11 miles down the river, they looked tired and hadn't made it that far at all.

You can do it without a motor in 6 days, but you will need to get up early. I would suggest doing cold breakfast every morning to make it easier on yourselves.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote