Deso grey april 14th-19 th Weather - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2019   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Deso grey april 14th-19 th Weather

Was thinking of picking up this permit short notice and taking my 15 year old
daughter and maybe a friend. BUT...ive never been dowm there and ive had alot of warnings about bad wind and weather this early? I posted asking about good trips and this is stuck im my head BUT...even though iam a glutten for punishment and can suffer i do not want to ruin rivers for my fam lol. So any one have experiences there this time of year? Ya or na? Ive been wanting to do a desert trip for years but would love an idyllic experience lol! Gotta act fast to get ready and who knows that permit could be gone all ready! Thanks

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019   #2

Prepare for temps anywhere from freezing to 85 degrees. I have worn my dry suit one day and shorts the next. Wind could be a factor or maybe not. I have had glorious April trips and ones where I woke up with snow...I do think some misery is good for the soul and humbling. the good there wont be any commercial trips down there and camps will be plentiful and the famous DESO bugs will be non existent. I still choose April over any other time of year. Im sure that didn't help at all however it will be an adventure your family will never forget. Take the trip for sure.
Alex.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm sure you would get your typical spring weather. It could snow, rain, sleet and it will definitely be windy. But you can get some great sunny days as well that might surprise you. You would most likely have your pick of camps and flows will probably be very good. It's still a great trip.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Wussed out and got a permit on the san jaun. Probably the same weather concerns but way shorter . I have no idea what its like down there lol! Hopefully theres some cool stuff to do? Anyway i will start planning for these other trips for next year and maybe score a lottery lol. If you got any insights to sand wash to mexican hat id be listening lol. Sucks being all old snd scared of drowning or being miserable. I used to love that stuff. Thanks charlie
Old 03-29-2019   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
Make sure to check out the petroglyphs at the put in. You find them both upstream and downstream of the launch ramp. River house ruin at mile 6 is a must see. This would be a good place to spend the first night. Butler Wash petroglyph panel is around 4.5 mile and is another good stop and see. I've camped at 15.5 and liked it. You'll both have a great time.

The only down side is the Russian olive trees in that stretch of river. They are a pokey tree at that.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Thank you!
Old 03-30-2019   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
If you have the time, go through Moab on the way. Lots of cool arches and stuff to see along the road between Moab and Bluff. Hovenweep NM takes a few hours to see but worth the trip and no crowds to fight through. Valley of the gods is a fun drive if it hasn't been raining. If you head North out of Mexican Hat on 261, you'll go up the Moki Dugway and come out at Natural Bridges. Turn right back to Blanding if your path is back through Moab. Several places to stop along that road with short hikes to Indian ruins. Go left and you'll have a very scenic drive past the top end of Lake Powell and through Hanksville.

Make sure you keep your tank full and have backup food to eat once you head south of I-70. There are a lot of things closed, like restaurants and gas stations this time of year. You are headed to the middle of no where......
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote