Deso/Gray late May or late July? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-18-2018   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Deso/Gray late May or late July?

Wondering which dates would be better for bugs/camping/kids in kayaks, late May or late July?

Sambikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2018   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
May can be bigger water and cool air temps. Bugs are a part of the Deso experience...
rent a screen cabin the night before the launch, cover up, spray clothes...after the first
26 river miles, they are minimal. Late July can be blazing hot, good for water play,
but low levels, long days on the water.
Old 02-19-2018   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My experiences on Deso - In my May trip a few years ago the water ran over 30k so not so good small kids in duckies. We so covered a lot of distance in a short time, there were a lot of bugs at launch and the first night, and there fewer or smaller camp sites. In July it was hot - over 100 every day so water would be warm enough for swimming and splashing, bugs at launch and first night, saw bear sign at one camp. In mid September, slow water, no bugs at all (never even took the DEET out of the bag), no bears or sign, cool temps.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018   #4
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
We did it last year in last week of June, so right in the middle of what you are asking about...sorry. 5 Kids 11 and under and 2 teenagers. It was the first multiday for the oldest. The bugs are real, as others have mentioned, as well as the hot temps.

We froze some orange juice containers of water and buried them at the bottom of the cooler. It is amazing what a drink of lemonade with ice on day 5 can do for a kids attitude

We were right on the backside of high water and some of the smaller "rapids" as designated on the river map were completely gone, meaning you had to pay extra attention to where you were. The ducky with the two teenagers swam Joe Hutch, long story that no one was happy about, but everyone was OK. The group behind us flipped a boat in there, so don't blow it off. For that reason alone I'd go later in the year with kids and kayaks so that you get some lower water.

It will make for more/bigger campsites as well. Also get a tribal permit for camping river left. The camps aren't as clean (read as cow patties) but the cost is worth it just so you have options.

And final bit of advice, we were rocking an umbrella for shade and I ended up fighting that &%$$ thing too much. I'll be installing a bimini before I do that again.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018   #5

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I've done a couple of trips in late July with kids ranging from 6-14 and have found the bugs to be not so bad then (even at Sand Wash). The first couple of days can be brutal in terms of flatwater, but I think the warmer lower level water combined with the larger beaches for camping can make for a more fun experience with kids. We went earlier last year and got eaten alive.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018   #6

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
I favor late July with kids. It will be hot. We went late July last year and were lucky to get a couple short rain showers.

Launch early the first day and go all the way to Jack Cr. That will help a lot with bugs.

I was planning on taking a motor for the flat water. In the end I chose not to take it. It wasn’t a problem. The first day was a long one but not that bad. I am out of shape and in my fifties and I did not find it too grueling.

Reserve a screen cabin to avoid the bugs. That will ensure an early start. We rigged most everything the night before. You will want to launch no later than 9:00 if you want to make it to Jack Cr. We launched at 10:00 ish. The ranger and pretty much everyone else at the put in said there was no way we would make it but we did. With a really long lunch stop and another stop for a hike we rolled into Jack Cr at a little before 6.

BTW. We had 7 kids ranging from 10 to 15. I thought it was an awesome trip for kids
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
The group behind us flipped a boat in there, so don't blow it off. For that reason alone I'd go later in the year with kids and kayaks so that you get some lower water.
That might of been our group behind you.......
Quote:
trevko
I've done a couple of trips in late July with kids ranging from 6-14 and have found the bugs to be not so bad then (even at Sand Wash). The first couple of days can be brutal in terms of flatwater, but I think the warmer lower level water combined with the larger beaches for camping can make for a more fun experience with kids. We went earlier last year and got eaten alive.
I agree with trevko.......fewer bugs and warmer water for the kids.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote