Deso Flows at Green River gauge - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-11-2015   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Deso Flows at Green River gauge

Can anyone explain these flows the past two days? Was thinking maybe heavy rains and side creek blowouts, but the flows dropped back off much sooner than would be typical. Plus the recent history for Price River, and ranch and jacks creeks show no sudden surges.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09315000 GREEN RIVER AT GREEN RIVER, UT

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
There has been some short burst releases from flaming gorge recently to promote health in an endangered minnow. That may well be what you are seeing.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
My speculation: Those peaks are much too abrupt and short lived to be from the dam release 150 miles upstream of the Green River gage. By the time a 6-hr release pulse got to Green River it would be smoothed out much more and probably not even noticable. For instance, look at the Green below Flaming Gorge, and you'll see a big daily fluctuation, that's completely smoothed out by the Green River UT gage. Likely those spikes are from flash floods not too far upstream from Green River. Especially with the Yampa kicking in lots of flow.

Don't camp anywhere near dry washes unless you're really confident it's not going to rain anywhere in the region - I've heard a really bad story about some folks getting badly hammered by a flash flood on Deso.

Be safe,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Good thoughts Andy. Shot big holes in my B.S.. I didnt figure it would fly fur long

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote