Deso Canyon Motor Levels- - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Deso Canyon Motor Levels-

Wise Motor Council of the Green River...

So I acquired a motor and am testing it out in case I need it to push our group down river from Sand Wash on June 7. Currently, there appears to be a lot of water running ...28K -ish? The flow will certainly drop but....

What is the highest level anyone has run this stretch and were still glad they had a motor? The motor can be a hassle so hoping to avoid taking it if we are already flying down the river. Will be pushing 6 boats/25 people...

Thanks for any input...Bongo

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm assuming you mean July 7th. Otherwise you've got bigger issues than the motor. Yes, the river will drop but looks to be still above 10,000 cfs by your trip. My thought is that you would be fine without the motor. But if that damn W kicks up in some of the flat sections it doesn't really matter how much water there is and it might be nice to have that motor.
Riverwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I think any level up s a good level for a motor on Deso. We launched/ran June 15-20 and levels were probably above 25k. 5 hp, 4 rafts/15 people and a couple kayaks left sand wash at ~8:30 to jack creek between 12:30 and 1:00. bugs were not an issue above jacks and camps were really nice with the higher water but I like the middle section of desolation more than the first 23 miles and prefer to spend my time there.

In 2011 in early/mid June at 40k+ we didn't motor. Got to jacks creek and past by early afternoon...

I suspect bugs will be really bad any day now into mid summer. I'd motor but some prefer not to use the black oar...
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I've always taken a motor on Deso, under the "Better to have it and not need it" theory. The winds can be brutal there, and given the unsettled weather we've had this year, I'd certainly think toward taking one. I as well prefer to get down the first section of the river and spend more time in the inner canyon.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Agree with MNichols, the motor is great in windy conditions, pushing lots of boats etc.
If water levels drop below 10K, or if you just want to protect your prop, consider installing a prop guard.

Have a wonderful time!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Agree with MNichols, the motor is great in windy conditions, pushing lots of boats etc.
If water levels drop below 10K, or if you just want to protect your prop, consider installing a prop guard.

Have a wonderful time!

I've run a couple of different prop guards over the years, each and every one either failed, or interfered with the prop at some point, one circular one I used caught a small rock between it and the prop, broke one of the blades on the prop!.

Now days, I just disable the motor lock down feature on the motor (used mainly to keep the motor from coming up out of the water in reverse, something I don't need with a raft) which allows the motor to kick up should it hit a rock or the bottom.

It can be hard on the prop though, but any competent welding and fab shop can rebuild and balance a low HP outboard prop. I ALWAYS carry a spare prop and shear pin though. To me anyway, is part of the cost of using a motor.
At the levels you'll likely have, this shouldn't be an issue, just remember the depth in the rivers runs to the outside of the curves
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for all the info. I will bring it. It is a 6hp Tohatsu, 4 stroke. I am pushing a total of 6 boats and 24 people (3 boats are 16's, 2 are 15's and one 14')....any idea how much gas I need to use??? Thanks for all the help!

Bongo
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Thanks for all the info. I will bring it. It is a 6hp Tohatsu, 4 stroke. I am pushing a total of 6 boats and 24 people (3 boats are 16's, 2 are 15's and one 14')....any idea how much gas I need to use??? Thanks for all the help!

Bongo
I can't imagine burning more than 5 gallons, what fuel does the motor consume per hour at half throttle?