Deso beta - low flow - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-06-2015   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Deso beta - low flow

Putting in next week, hoping to time it for the cottonwood and box elder leaves turning.

It looks like the flow will be above 2000 out of the dam plus a small amount of inflow from Yampa, etc. So maybe 2500 if we're lucky (and we're lucky and glad to have that much!)

I've only done Deso at medium to high water. Are there any rapids we should look at at low water? We've only scouted Cow Swim in the past.

Also, assuming we stay on the sticks, and the wind isn't too horrible, can we make it work as a 6 day trip?

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Coal creek may be a bit boney at that flow. Shouldn't pose too much of a problem though. I did 7 days with a motor last Sept at around 3500 cfs. You can do it in 6 days. The best advice I would give you is make big miles the first day. Put on at daybreak and row your ass off if you don't have a motor. Also consider doing cold breakfast, on some mornings. Sometimes some cereal and a bagel is all you need. This will enable you to have a lot more time to spend in the main part of the canyon exploring and hiking. The camps are awesome that time of year, no bugs at all when we went. Have a blast.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015   #3

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Currently 2630- you get the flow from the White, as well as the Yampa.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015   #4

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
I'm a newbie - Deso last month was my second run - 1700cfs to 2000cfs (whatever are the gauging stations near beginning and end). Even with my inexperience, the only ones that seemed of any note to me were Steer Ridge, Joe Hutch, and Three Fords. Didn't scout SR, and it was tricky - mainly due to boat before mine getting stuck on a "domer" rock at the top and messing up my run. Scouted JH but needn't have. Scouted 3F and glad we did; certainly the toughest rapid at those flow levels, but really not that big a deal (given that we scouted it). I would say 3F is the only rapid that an experienced boater ought to scout. Bigger problem was shallows in the early section; had to jump out and drag my boat (14ft raft) several times.
jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
I've done it a bunch in April with the flows around 1000. You'll have no problem rowing down in 6 days. The middle of the canyon has good gradient and you can easily make some good mileage days if the winds blow hard the first day or two. If it's your first time or two down, I'd be against bringing a motor. I've rowed down the first 20 miles in the wind for many a High School trip.....at 1000......it's very doable.

Definitely scout Three Fords. Best bet is to make Wire Fence one of your camps. The 1st camp is my favorite for camping. The camp at the bottom of the rapid is the best one for playing in the water.

PM me if you want info on some cool hikes.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I've done it a bunch in April with the flows around 1000. You'll have no problem rowing down in 6 days.
I have to take issue with this. Our trip was 7nights/8days, and I would not have wanted to do it any quicker. And our flow was about double your 1000cfs. Of course, I'm new and not as efficient an oarsman.
Old 10-07-2015   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Just got off deso on Sunday. My first time down. 2600 when we put on. Joe Hutch is worth scouting in my opinion, if for no other reason than to check out the size of the boulders from the 08 debris flow. I ended up running the one hole I was planning on missing and it was no big deal. Camping at wire fence allows you take short walk to scout three fords. It's a cool scout that puts you on a ledge right on top of the rapid. Coal creek had a few sleepers at the top and bottom, but plenty of time to see them and make adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
Coal creek had a few sleepers at the top and bottom, but plenty of time to see them and make adjustments.
Some moron* on our trip got too far right near the top, and got sucked into a side channel on the far right, and then spit out below where the rapid begins. It all worked out ok.

* yours truly
Old 10-07-2015   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jge1 View Post
I have to take issue with this. Our trip was 7nights/8days, and I would not have wanted to do it any quicker. And our flow was about double your 1000cfs. Of course, I'm new and not as efficient an oarsman.
I'll agree that 8 days is the minimum I like to do it as a private trip.........but 6 days is plenty if your guiding a bunch of High School students you've never met before.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015   #10

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
went at low water in mid September... did 6 days with arriving at camp at days end pretty wooped from head winds and I I like to row hard...so more time recommended if you want layovers and hiking..... agree on leaving crack on dawn for first 1-2 days....rapids of note were coal creek, now hutch and Chandler was straight forward wave train but there was a flipping wave/hole in it if you float in sideways w/o momentum --- nice camp below coal creek rapid 100 yes on river right......have fun!
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote