Deso and Bear Hunt (Objective Harvest) - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2015   #1

cedar city, Utah
Deso and Bear Hunt (Objective Harvest)

Anybody done a float hunt on Deso for bear? They have two seasons this year and I am curious about experiences. I imagine most people use the "Nine Mile" zone by foot, horse or ATV but the idea of doing a river hunt has some appeal.

I will undoubtedly get some flack from others but its a unique opportunity that meets many of my desires, values and falls in line with my education. Black Bear has historically been off my hunting radar but if I can harvest some meat and help prevent negative encounters it becomes more appealing. It would likely be a two person and two bear permit trip for safety. Would take the maximum time.

Successes or lessons learned from others, even if on other rivers? Preferred season (through June 5 or after Sept 2? Etc

Phillip

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
First off, I have no experience on Deso, so I can't help with that, but I have hunted, and harvested animals of the water. Now, not literally while floating, we've just used water for transportation. We have an antelope hunt we do off the Madison River, using the boat to access some BLM and state land. There is something exceedingly rewarding in dragging an animal to the boat and then loading it in the back and shoving off.

Now, not related but something to work into your schedule some day; one season a few years ago I had a trophy mule deer tag in the Bridger Range. Long story short following several hundred miles of walking the Bridgers I finally found my deer following a large snow storm while skinning in to my hunt area on AT gear... Had to lay down and rest the gun on my propped up ski... Still one of my favorite hunts of all time.

Don't be discouraged if you get lit up asking. It would make a really cool hunt I'm sure. I highly recommend the non-traditional access hunting it's extra rewarding!
Old 04-30-2015   #3

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
Ive thought about doing a bear hunt on deso. Just can't stand the taste of bear! Bring some vicks for your nose when you are quartering the bear!
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015   #4

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
As long as the animal becomes food no complaints from me. Pure trophy hunt just for the mount seems just plain wasteful.
I would love to do a float hunt maybe in Alaska.
Old 04-30-2015   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Sounds like an awesome hunt, up until you have to eat it. Bear is terrible, bout as bad as it gets. Even worse than sand hill crane. Glad I found that out before I hunted one and felt compelled to eat it, which I would. Not sure if you could even mix it 80% pig 20% bear and make good sausage. If you are inclined to eat what you kill, and hopefully you are, I suggest you find some to taste first. If you guys have hunters for the homeless up there, ask them if they take bear. If so go for it. 100 pounds of bear meat would be a lot to gag down.
Old 04-30-2015   #6

cedar city, Utah
Definitely not a trophy hunter. I would love to use the fur, etc but some it will likely be donated to friends and family because my wife has no interest in those things being around the house. I was a biological technician before I started getting sick in 2009 and had a solid mentor as a boss who hunted but was also a trained wildlife biologist.

Trying to approach all of my hunting and fishing from a utilitarian approach. The challenge and uncertainty is also appealing.

Alaska is appealing but expensive. My friend just got back from hunting in New Zealand and the appeal is even stronger there: free or cheap, major adventure and meets ecological objectives as all of the targeted mammals are invasive. He managed to hunt and fish there for two weeks for cheaper than the cost of the permit and guide fee alone in Alaska, and his cost included airfare. Definitely has me contemplating a major adventure over there, though I haven't explored the river option.

Never tasted bear meat as its not readily available even within the expanded circle of hunters I know. But I am pretty positive I would find it plenty edible considering the other game meat I have tried and enjoyed.

Phillip
Old 04-30-2015   #7

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Sounds like an awesome hunt, up until you have to eat it. Bear is terrible, bout as bad as it gets. Even worse than sand hill crane. Glad I found that out before I hunted one and felt compelled to eat it, which I would. Not sure if you could even mix it 80% pig 20% bear and make good sausage. If you are inclined to eat what you kill, and hopefully you are, I suggest you find some to taste first. If you guys have hunters for the homeless up there, ask them if they take bear. If so go for it. 100 pounds of bear meat would be a lot to gag down.
Wish it was available. Might look around more as the timeframe is friendlier for the autumn hunt. Might be able to track down a sample before then. With the harvest objective I won't buy the permit until right before the trip as they are unlimited but are useless once the harvest number has been met. I doubt Nine Mile will meet that cap though.

Phillip
Old 04-30-2015   #8

Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
Sounds like a cool trip! I've been wanting to do a particular canoe access whitetail hunt but the National Park shut down any private boaters from portaging into the lake with their own boats...gotta rent one from them. I suppose it's to keep invasive species out but someone should tell the ducks and geese so they can stop swimming there.

Anyways, good luck and don't be too discouraged with the taste of bear meat. Venison tastes like shit when you cook it to well done too. As with any game, prompt and proper field dressing followed with good care and cooking yields great results. I'd love to bear hunt but around here it's just people bait hunting over a barrel of bacon grease..might as well go to the zoo and shoot one.

ps look into rendering your own fat from the bear!
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #9

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
The grande rhonde would be a great river to do this on.. Tons of bears in that area.. I'm not familiar with the deso but it seems like a spring hunt on the grande rhonde would be great when the bears are out feeding in the open on wild onions.. I am leaving work in an hour to go bear hunting. I will be looking straight down into the snake river. too bad it's above brownlee resivoir and not the lower stretch..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #10

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
[Never tasted bear meat as its not readily available even within the expanded circle of hunters I know. But I am pretty positive I would find it plenty edible considering the other game meat I have tried and enjoyed.]

Not gonna happen. Sorry, but I have to agree with zbaird - I've harvested and eaten many different kinds of meat - there is nothing worse than bear.

However, if you do decide to try, we've had close encounters (one very close encounter last summer) with bears at wire fence. Good luck !
jamwin33 is offline   Reply With Quote