Death on the Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2017   #1

Death on the Grand Canyon

Somber news ,
Idaho man dies on private boating trip on Colorado River | KSL.com

Prayers and condolences to the family, does anybody have any more information , I hate to lose one of our own....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

mrbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
We may not have many details until the group gets off the river. I think they still have a few days to go.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #3

Boise, Idaho
I know a little and I usually never comment on stuff like this but I think it always bares repeating, wear your life jacket at all times on the river!
mora2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017   #4

I agree you should wear a PFD, but I'd be willing to bet he was wearing his PFD in Hance. Hance is second only to Lava in my book as far as grand Canyon rapids go. Thoughts go out to his family and the rest of the people on that trip.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
We may not have many details until the group gets off the river. I think they still have a few days to go.
And when they get off the river, they may not feel like going straight to the internet to tell all about what they witnessed.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #6

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Well said Andy. This news is somber and we must find a way to let peace be with what has happened. Instead of mulling over details of how and why on an intraweb forum. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family survived by this incident.

Feelings are just visitors. Let them come and go.
Old 04-30-2017   #7

Well said, y'all are right, here is not the place to dissect tragedies, only respect and love for those who are affected by this

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mrbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Based on a post from a GC facebook page, it sounds like they are having a super rough trip with this unfortunate incident being only the latest incident. They evidently had a breakout of Norovirus and a broken leg happen previously as well.

Thoughts definitely go out to them and I hope they are coping alright with it.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017   #9

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
We were the crew that found them below Hance doing CPR on the man. We called NPS and helped organize a helicopter. Sorry but the article holds all the info I know. We leaped frogged with the group throughout the rest of the trip. My heart goes out to them what a horrible situation. I hope no one ever has to see that.
Old 05-11-2017   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mora2818 View Post
I know a little and I usually never comment on stuff like this but I think it always bares repeating, wear your life jacket at all times on the river!
Implying that he didn't?

So that you or someone else can feel better about doing what you can to not die? That you did it 'right' and he did it wrong so you sleep better? WTF?

If you know something say it. Bullshit beating around the bush helps no one.
If it's only something you know from the internet rumor mill then shut up. I doubt you were there, so anything you might 'know' is second hand knowledge. Sometimes people drown on the river. It sucks and it sucks big time for those with him. I read the same report that he may have had trouble with his PFD but that is just a guess it would seem.

I often do not wear a pfd on several different stretches of river and nothing you or anyone else says will change that. It's my choice and I am ok with it.
Sometimes I even swim in the river or a swimming pool without a PFD, heaven forbid.

And if I die on one of those stretches of river due to my choices, that would be a lot better than languishing in hospital with needles in my arm and no fresh air to be found anywhere.

Quote from his partner in life and on the boat from her FB page:

"I lost my best friend and partner to the Grand Canyon River Gods on April 23, 2017. I take solace in the knowledge that he could not have gone in a more grand place or in a better way - doing what he loved. The native people of the Grand Canyon believe it is heaven - what better place for Jim to go."

RIP Jim Blair.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote