Deal Thoughts - Older Avon (feedback appreciated) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 05-15-2017   #1

Truckee, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Deal Thoughts - Older Avon (feedback appreciated)

I'd love to hear some thoughts from people here on this deal.

I've been in the market for a 16' self-bailer. I just rowed the South Fork of the American (2 weeks ago) in CA on several boats - newer NRS 14', a Sotar 14', and an older Avon 14'. Flows were running 5500 to 7000 from Chili Bar down through the Gorge.

For whatever reason, I loved the Avon and the way it tracked more so than the others at those flows.

I have 4 kids (ages 8 to 14) so I've been in the market for a larger boat - 16' feet to haul gear, people, etc. for the multi-day trips we are doing. My oldest does paddle her playboat now more and my wife will cruise an IK as well mostly, so i'm not always fully loaded with all 6 of us + gear.

That being said - I found an original owner selling a 16' Avon Pro. I just checked it out for 3 hours and it's legit. Here's basically what he's selling, asking $2900 for all:

1987 Avon Pro 16', very well cared for, always stored indoors. Hasn't seen much water in last 10 years due to aging of owner.
Urethane coating around bottom. Urethane looks untouched.
Little to ZERO discoloration around boat, anywhere - except where he repositioned the foot cups to where he wanted them.
Chaffing strip installed around entire top.
2 extra handles on each side plus several extra floor D-rings and outside D-rings. (so 8 handles and tons of D-ring for rigging day trips, throw bags, whatnot).
4 interior handles for self-rescue, + 2 on each thwart.
12 foot cups - avon material only.
2 Thwarts upgraded to easy removal system. No straps, etc...easy slide bars.
2 frames - 5 bay expedition frame and day frame. New low-back seats.
5 oar shafts, 4 older carlisle blades. (older oars but they will do - pin/clips)
2 older Gott coolers
Carlson pump
Rope, hoop riggings, straps for rigging. Extra 100 feet rope, throw bags.
Ammo cans, patch kits, extra patches.

The *only* major repair was a blown i-Beam in the floor the 2nd year he owned it - which was professionally repaired by some older boat master in CA. Did an inside/out patch and replaced the relief valve on the floor and set it to 1.5 lbs/pressure so as to not allow for an over-inflated floor and blow more ibeams in future.

It's definitely an older boat (30 years now) but for $2900 on a meticulously cared for, original owner boat...ready to put in the water and go...with all the extras.

Thoughts are appreciated...

SixPek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
It's hard to get a river-ready rig for under 3K. If the boat is in the very good shape you describe then this is a good deal, the type of 5-bay frame determines how good of a deal. You will likely spend an additional 2K on things like straps, toilet, dry box, firepan, sweet cooler, upgraded oars, drop/gear bags, decks, etc. over the next 1-2 years to get it to where you need it for the large family, but it sounds like it is otherwise ready to go now.

Again, if the boat itself is in as good of shape as you say, this sounds like a good deal and I'd likely pay the asking price if my personal inspection passed muster.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
If you don't want it......

I'd defiantly buy it. I would be afraid of that year Avon. Sounds like a good deal to me.......but I love old Avons. The soggier the floor.....the better they track.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017   #4

Truckee, California
Thanks for the reply!

The guy has been a mechanic for 40 years and built the frame himself with all aluminum parts. Short of being brand new, it rivals most of the NRS frames I've seen. Full breakdown frame. Holes are pre-drilled for bolts in some sections where the cooler placement was to his liking - but the beams all have 2 if not 3 set screws plus a locking clip/pin installed on each beam.

I already have a bunch of straps, plus he's throwing in a bunch including the 1.5" NRS frame straps for the frames.

I probably will be upgrading the oars if I buy it - and maybe adding some drop bags and a nice river table. Other than that - our large caravan of family boaters is already sharing cost on 2 groovers, double-duckies, firepans and kitchen gear as it is.

All the rubber is in phenomenal shape - it's been bagged (nice storage bag setup) and stored indoors it's whole life and was his personal boat until he basically stopped boating in 2011.
Old 05-15-2017   #5

Truckee, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
If you don't want it......

I'd defiantly buy it. I would be afraid of that year Avon. Sounds like a good deal to me.......but I love old Avons. The soggier the floor.....the better they track.
I'm hoping you meant that you "wouldn't" be afraid of that year.

He also installed floor D-rings in center so he could strap a soft-cooler to the center between the thwarts for shorter day trips. He really did put a lot of thought into this sucker...!
Old 05-15-2017   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Avon's last forever. It seems perfect for a boater with 4 kids.

Happy Trails.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #7

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado
I love my 1984 16' Avon. I bet it outlast me.
Old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #8

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I think it is a good deal. A buddy has the opportunity to get a similar set up (Avon SB, frame, cooler, drybox, oars) for about that same amount.

Now the 14'er for almost 8k in the classifieds on the Buzz, well that's another matter!
trevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPek View Post
I'm hoping you meant that you "wouldn't" be afraid of that year.

He also installed floor D-rings in center so he could strap a soft-cooler to the center between the thwarts for shorter day trips. He really did put a lot of thought into this sucker...!
I did mean "wouldn't". Sorry about that. The boat in my avatar is a 76 that was heavily used by River Runners. It has at least 10 more years of service left in the old girl. Just took it down Deso and plan to take her out to Deso again in a month.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017   #10

Truckee, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevko View Post
I think it is a good deal. A buddy has the opportunity to get a similar set up (Avon SB, frame, cooler, drybox, oars) for about that same amount.

Now the 14'er for almost 8k in the classifieds on the Buzz, well that's another matter!
Yeah where are the pics of the pimped-out trailer for that thing?