Dave Scadden Outlaw Renegade pontoon craft - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-17-2012   #1

Hayden Lake, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Dave Scadden Outlaw Renegade pontoon craft

I own a variety of whitewater and flyfishing boats. My buddy and I are considering buying Scadden Outlaw Renegade pontoon boats because of their light weight (you wouldn't believe what Vladavostok Air charges for checked baggage!) for a multiday trip (Class 2 or less whitewater) to Kamchatka. I have some concerns about the durability of the tubes and the oars. Has anyone used these for multiday trips and how did they hold up? Has anyone put a 2 hp kicker engine on one successfully and do they support 800 lbs as advertised?

Bob

bobthetrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You should look at this thread. There has been much conversation on this topic.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...oat-41003.html
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetrout View Post
I have some concerns about the durability of the tubes and the oars.

Bob
you should. they are garbage.

and yes, it's all been covered here before on mountainbuzz-lite.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012   #4

Fort collins, Colorado
I have a outlaw rampage and I have 2 buddies with outlaw renegades. I have used them on week long floats in Alaska. Here is the break down. The boats cant be trusted on a trip like that. You could put yourself in real f___ show in the middle of russia if your equipment fails and there is a pretty decent probability for that. The boat it's self is only moderately garbage. The pvc isn't very high quality and I've had lots of need for patching. That isn't the end of the world though. But make sure you take plenty of patch and contact cement. The accessories are absolutely garbage though. I would not take the oars that come with the boat. Period. They are fragile and the oarlock set up is just a bolt that goes through the middle of the oar. If your downstream oar clips the bottom as you are on ferry or making a move, they will break bc there is no way to allow the force to be absorbed. I found out on an extended float trip in Alaska and finished the trip with a rod tube as an oar because I broke both of mine and beat the tar out of me extra one. Shame on me for not predicting that and putting oarlocks and real oars on it the first day I owned it. But you would never expect to be sold such garbage on a boat that is advertised as able to handle everything. You seat will break and your bags will tear but who really cares about that. My two buddies had their footbraces break or bend and one buddy had two valves that developed leaks at the interface with the pvc. A lot of these things could be a big deal on a long float trip. I do like the boat design however as they are really fishable and handle rapids pretty well (after all of my aftermarket fixes). So be very careful. I think a better option for something like this would be a 9 foot raft or an IK with a small modular frame with oarlocks. You could still get away with a decent weight and a way better product at a better price than both of you buying one of Scadden's boats. But you can't use fins in an operation like that. Unfortunately, I haven't found a great product to do what you and I want to do. Outcast makes a ultralight 9foot toon that might not be bad. But there are a lot of products that look good on paper or the net but don't stand up to real use. Anything buy, make sure you see it in person first. Look at everything that looks hokey and think about what happens if that breaks on a week long float trip. I can guarantee you a scadden boat will have at least one thing (probably more like 4) break if you take it on a trip like this. If you are interested in the modifications I made, I could send you pictures or something. But if I was doing it again, I would look elsewhere. Also, if you call and talk to Dave Scadden, he is a scam artist and liar. Think about what he's saying and be careful. I'd trust the guy selling "Rolexes" in Mexico more than him.
Cwleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #5

Fort collins, Colorado
By the way, a Kamchatka trip sounds about as T&A as it gets. Take a real boat so you can enjoy those giant mouse eating bows.

CL
Cwleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #6

forks, washington
there is no way those boats support 800 lbs of weight. I think he way overstates what they will handle .
fishhawk1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #7

Hayden Lake, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwleo View Post
I have a outlaw rampage and I have 2 buddies with outlaw renegades. I have used them on week long floats in Alaska. Here is the break down. The boats cant be trusted on a trip like that. You could put yourself in real f___ show in the middle of russia if your equipment fails and there is a pretty decent probability for that. The boat it's self is only moderately garbage. The pvc isn't very high quality and I've had lots of need for patching. That isn't the end of the world though. But make sure you take plenty of patch and contact cement. The accessories are absolutely garbage though. I would not take the oars that come with the boat. Period. They are fragile and the oarlock set up is just a bolt that goes through the middle of the oar. If your downstream oar clips the bottom as you are on ferry or making a move, they will break bc there is no way to allow the force to be absorbed. I found out on an extended float trip in Alaska and finished the trip with a rod tube as an oar because I broke both of mine and beat the tar out of me extra one. Shame on me for not predicting that and putting oarlocks and real oars on it the first day I owned it. But you would never expect to be sold such garbage on a boat that is advertised as able to handle everything. You seat will break and your bags will tear but who really cares about that. My two buddies had their footbraces break or bend and one buddy had two valves that developed leaks at the interface with the pvc. A lot of these things could be a big deal on a long float trip. I do like the boat design however as they are really fishable and handle rapids pretty well (after all of my aftermarket fixes). So be very careful. I think a better option for something like this would be a 9 foot raft or an IK with a small modular frame with oarlocks. You could still get away with a decent weight and a way better product at a better price than both of you buying one of Scadden's boats. But you can't use fins in an operation like that. Unfortunately, I haven't found a great product to do what you and I want to do. Outcast makes a ultralight 9foot toon that might not be bad. But there are a lot of products that look good on paper or the net but don't stand up to real use. Anything buy, make sure you see it in person first. Look at everything that looks hokey and think about what happens if that breaks on a week long float trip. I can guarantee you a scadden boat will have at least one thing (probably more like 4) break if you take it on a trip like this. If you are interested in the modifications I made, I could send you pictures or something. But if I was doing it again, I would look elsewhere. Also, if you call and talk to Dave Scadden, he is a scam artist and liar. Think about what he's saying and be careful. I'd trust the guy selling "Rolexes" in Mexico more than him.
All I can say is wow! We will be just doing day floats, with a guy in a raft or motorboat following us but I've done multiday self guided floats out on Bucks Bag framed kickboats without a problem. Dave's boats seem really cheap by yours and other's descriptions. Our biggest problem is that Vladovostok Air wants $200 one way for 50 pounds of baggage to get us from Anchorage, AK to Kamchatka so every ounce is worth it's weight in gold! I wonder if the carbon fiber Scadden oars are worth the $250 upgrade or is it just throwing more good money after bad? Thanks for your help.
Bob Holman
bobthetrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Another vote for NO WAY IN HELL! My Scadden/NFO boat has been repaired and upgraded across the board- every accessory has failed and had to be replaced- along with all the valves. Don't believe the "Halkey Roberts" valve line on his Youtube video- he is using a cheap copy called a Bravo valve which is extremely hard to find in the US.... let alone Russia. I've broken three of them so far- and now won't float without a replacement and wrench on board. They are not interchangeable with original Halkey valves, either.

I would recommend the new Outcast one man, a Watermaster (have one of those, too- it's a much more durable boat than Scadden's stuff- heavier fabric and real Halkey valves) or the Jack's Plastic version of a Watermaster. I wouldn't go near a trip like that on an NFO boat. Both the Watermaster and the new Outcast boats use the pin style of oar lock- and while they're not up to class V whitewater standards, because the boats are so light, you can get away with them in moderate (up to III) water as long as you're careful. I fabbed a set of carbon oars myself for my Watermaster- used two Werner Camano kayak paddles and produced a much better version of what North Fork has tried with their version. Mine don't have the cheapo metal buttons to hold the segments together- they use the proven attachment of the Werner shafts- I'd be happy to send you some pics if you PM me. I have a trip like this in mind for Alaska in the next few years- probably going to go with the Watermaster for that- wouldn't think of risking my trip to my NFO boat.
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #9

Sawyer also makes a small diameter pontoon oar, nice upgrade cheaper than scaddens.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Maybe ditch oars and go paddle. Couple options
SOAR Cat Inflatable Catarafts - Somewhere On A River

I kind of like they baylee packrafts too, lots of light weight options out there.
Feathercraft Baylee pack raft

Display Products
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote