Dangerous situation - Shoelaces Snagging in Zippers - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-02-2019   #1

Jamestown, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Dangerous situation - Shoelaces Snagging in Zippers

Hi All,

I wanted to share a quick story that scared the shit out of me yesterday. Be aware of zippers on your boat! While rafting boulder creek yesterday, somehow my shoelace got caught in the zipper on the thwart. It was the part of my shoelace that's down near your toes and as I tried to pull my foot away it sinched the laces down so tight that my foot would not have come out. Had that boat flipped yesterday, I'm not sure I would be writing this today. I never thought of a zipper as a potential entrapment hazard, and maybe this was just a freak accident, but I thought I'd share with everyone. I know my buddy and I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zipper.png
Views:	78
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	36897  

nmrajotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019   #2
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I didnt need another reason to hate zippers but I'll add this one to the list. TAL
Old 07-02-2019   #3

Englewood, Colorado
Would a river knife have helped? I know, I know...20/20 hindsight, and it'd be sawing awfully close to a chamber. Just curious.

I've wondered about laced shoes as an entrapment...facilitator? before. Fwiw, I have a simple square knot tied on the end of my river shoelaces so I can grab and untie them underwater a bit easier. In theory, anyway, never had to do that. Eh, I see no downside to my paranoia.

-Tom
Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019   #4

Jamestown, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pierce View Post
Would a river knife have helped? I know, I know...20/20 hindsight, and it'd be sawing awfully close to a chamber. Just curious.

I've wondered about laced shoes as an entrapment...facilitator? before. Fwiw, I have a simple square knot tied on the end of my river shoelaces so I can grab and untie them underwater a bit easier. In theory, anyway, never had to do that. Eh, I see no downside to my paranoia.

-Tom
I always carry one, but upsidedown underwater it might have been a small target to hit. That's a great idea to have a knot to untie quickly and potentially with one hand. I will most likely be doing that from now on.
nmrajotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019   #5

Englewood, Colorado
Yeah, just near the ends of the lace where those plastic tube things are. I pull the knot taut with a couple of pliers to make sure it doesn't work its way loose. Again, paranoid, but...

-Ton
Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
It sure seems to me that one really hard yank of the foot and either the lace or the zipper would fail.... neither are particularly strong - I get it would be freaky but seriously doubt that something wouldn't have given pretty quickly
Old 07-02-2019   #7

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks for the heads up..I routinely R2-R7 with thwarts with zippers.

Maybe send a message to AIRE. Maybe for future models they can cover the zippers even better with pvc flaps.

Not zipper related but, I have had a few potential entrapment issues over the years commercial guiding and private boating . Seems if it’s not one thing, than it is another, and it is usually something you can’t possibly foresee ahead of time.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Those zipper cars love to break, always when I don't want them to. I think in a real panic situation you could have broken free with some more yanking. Kinda surprised it didn't break since it cinched so tight on your foot. That said there are lots of other things to snag a lace or a strap on a sandal. Rafting is dangerous as hell.
Old 07-03-2019   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Those zipper cars love to break, always when I don't want them to. I think in a real panic situation you could have broken free with some more yanking. Kinda surprised it didn't break since it cinched so tight on your foot. That said there are lots of other things to snag a lace or a strap on a sandal. Rafting is dangerous as hell.

Perhaps put a strip of "Tear Aid" tape over the zippers, would be easy to cut in the event you needed to use the zippers functionality in a repair and stop things from getting caught in them.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019   #10
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Heres an idea.
DONT BUY A BOAT THATS HELD TOGETHER WITH ZIPPERS BECAUSE ZIPPERS SUCK.
Zippers on my Jeep top FAIL, zippers on the front of my jeans FAIL, Zippers on my sleeping bag FAIL, Zippers on my jacket FAIL,
ALL ZIPPERS ALWAYS FAIL BECAUSE ZIPPERS SUCK