Crewsaver dry suits. - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2018   #1

Bigfork, Montana
Paddling Since: 2015
Crewsaver dry suits.

Does anyone have a experience with Crewsaver dry suits? I'm looking for an inexpensive dry suit to get. I would only be using it a few times a year and hate to spend tons of money on one. I would much rather spend my money on more safety gear. Thanks

BFMT302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018   #2

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I just checked these out online. Neoprene cuffs, comfortable yes, will it keep all the water out? No. The latex socks/booties I'm scratching my head about. Those would most likely be trashed the first time you change into or out of your suit in a parking lot or camp site etc..... I couldn't find any info on their zipper system, which is a huge part of the dry suit keeping you dry. You get what you pay for here for sure. I honestly would try and find a reasonably priced used suit from a reputable company. It will save you money, hassle and comfort in the long run. New priced NRS suits are reasonable, and the customer service is good. I cannot speak on their quality though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #3

Bigfork, Montana
Paddling Since: 2015
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely a newb at whitewater. I've owned dry suits before but for SCUBA diving. Not quite the same suit.
BFMT302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018   #4

NRS was having a sale recently on entry-level dry suits that were super affordable.
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #5

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Yeah, I might add this sentiment. Even if you only intend on a few uses per season, if you have some shitbox drysuit that doesn't breathe, or isn't "dry" you may as well just have got neoprene or splash gear. With a quality drysuit, you extend you boating season and comfort on both ends. It's like skiing. If your not properly dressed or you gear doesnt properly control moisture in/out your going to be uncomfortable and unhappy, ending your day short.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Spend a tiny bit more and get one of these while its on sale... https://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-...Entry-Dry-Suit

It may not be Goretex but its still breathable and has all the stuff you want in a drysuit from the industry standard whitewater drysuit company. You can't beat that price while its on sale either.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #7

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Spend a tiny bit more and get one of these while its on sale... https://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-...Entry-Dry-Suit

It may not be Goretex but its still breathable and has all the stuff you want in a drysuit from the industry standard whitewater drysuit company. You can't beat that price while its on sale either.
Agreed. I have a Hydrus suit, albeit with booties, and have been very pleased with it for several years. Would definitely buy again for the money.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
Agreed. I have a Hydrus suit, albeit with booties, and have been very pleased with it for several years. Would definitely buy again for the money.
Yeah...I have the Hydrus Angler Paddling Suit that has the Neoprene Neck Gasket, Latex wrists, and fabric socks and certainly prefer that. There is a ~$500 version of it but the the one I have is ~$600. I think I paid less on sale. I think its worth what I paid and has done me well and seems to be holding up. I really like the neoprene gasket since its much more comfortable but still holds the water out for rafting use. I got a little moist when I decided to Paco Pad down Hermit in it, but stayed plenty warm. Does great for splashes and such though.

Story short...I think its worth spending a bit more even if you only wear it occasionally. I got mine about this time last year and have worn it 5-10 days out of the 95 days on the river I had last year. Definitely glad I had it though.

I just wanted to point out that Kokatat that was on sale since it was higher quality but in the price range of the Crewsaver one.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018   #9
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Did you look at mythic gear? similar price.. probably a better suit though.
Old 04-03-2018   #10

North Hudson, United States
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a kokatat, my wife has a mythic gear. The kokatat will definitely outlast the mythic but here's the problem, you can buy 3 mythic for the cost of the kokatat plus 2 gasket replacements on the kokatat.

Why is the Mythic so much cheaper. Only one color. Unisex. It does breathe but it's not Goretex brand. No multi layered seat and knees (again, you get a hole patch it, it's $369 and it works). No gasket covers to help reduce UV exposure.

Now the good stuff. The material does breathe, it's DWR sheds water, it's held up to a handful of swims and shoreline bushwhacks. Seals and zippers all work to keep water out.

If you're really hard on your drysuit, I'd definitely recommend a kokatat. The stronger Cordura material and reinforced material will be worth the cost. If you are mostly going to be going easy on the drysuit and just want to extend your season, Mythic is a really solid option.

Personally, I'm pretty sure I'll just order two Mythics for my next suit and call it good.

Sent from my VS995 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
MountainVisions is offline   Reply With Quote