County Sheriff vs. Raft Co's on CBS 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2008   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
County Sheriff vs. Raft Co's on CBS 4

Footage that quickly flashed could have been lower Eagle? Rut-roh!

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
cbs4denver.com - Sheriff Debates Closing Eagle River To Rafting

I saw Daliah's (sorry for butchering the spelling) boat on TV! Sweet! Nice shot there Liquidchaos too, lookin good.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
I heard that the Pitkin County sheriff contemplated closing the rivers to private parties but never did. People have the protected right to do stupid things. I believe they call this natural selection.
david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
No Worries!

My boat has become the poster child for 2008 rafting accidents! The stories attached to it are only partly true!

The news story tonight said that it one of the flipped boats yesterday and then got hung up.

The Denver Post said it was still on the shit pole!

My boat sure gets around! What a slut! lol

I think the news tonight said the Sheriff did close the Eagle. Is this true? How does that work?
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
Quote:
Originally Posted by david23 View Post
I heard that the Pitkin County sheriff contemplated closing the rivers to private parties but never did. People have the protected right to do stupid things. I believe they call this natural selection.

This was in 1995, by the way.
david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by david23 View Post
One woman floated five miles before she could be rescued..
Did yakgirl make the news??
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Naw, she didn't swim far enough! Besides, she was with Griff and he most likely used his turkey leg and charm to keep her out of the news!
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #8
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
okay this is ridiculous. I'll drive all the way up there with my raft if he thinks he can close the river go on and arrest me and we'll see about personal liberty. some people!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #9
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
if they close it off, two words: mass float

I could very easily see and agree with them closing it to commercial trips. Commercial passengers aren't what they used to be, and cancelling a few of them isnt too shabby of an idea.

However, closing it to private parties, who, in most cases, know what they are doing and have an appropriate knowledge and understanding of flood waters, is unacceptable!
Old 06-04-2008   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Under what authority?

There is a Colorado State statue that limits when an agency can close a river to kayaks and multi-chamber rafts.

Quote:
Colorado Statutes : TITLE 33 WILDLIFE AND PARKS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION : PARKS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION : ARTICLE 13 VESSELS : 33-13-111. Authority to close waters.

33-13-111. Authority to close waters.
Statute text

(1) (a) The board shall promulgate rules to prohibit the operation of vessels on any waters of the state and ordering the removal of vessels from any waters of the state when such operation constitutes or may constitute a hazard to human life or safety.

(b) For purposes of this subsection (1), "vessels" shall not include whitewater canoes and kayaks except in the case of:

(I) A state of disaster emergency pursuant to section 24-32-2104 or 24-32-2109, C.R.S.;

(II) Disaster relief efforts that are underway and that may include debris removal;

(III) An accident or other emergency that occurs in or immediately adjacent to the water body;

(IV) Rescue efforts for victims that are actively underway and such efforts would be hindered by additional waterway traffic; or

(V) Active construction or transportation projects authorized under state or federal law.

(2) Any parks and recreation officer or other peace officer as defined in section 33-10-102 has the authority to enforce the provisions of this section under the rules promulgated by the board.

(3) Any person who fails to obey an order issued under this section is guilty of a class 2 petty offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars.
History

Source: L. 84: Entire article added, p. 904, § 2, effective January 1, 1985. L. 95: (3) amended, p. 973, § 22, effective July 1. L. 2003: (1) and (3) amended, p. 1948, § 24, effective May 22.
Annotations

ANNOTATION
Annotations

Am. Jur.2d. See 12 Am. Jur.2d, Boats and Boating, § 6.

Applied in People v. Boyd, 642 P.2d 1 (Colo. 1982).

Tags
rafting