Cooler frame for paddle raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2007   #1
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Cooler frame for paddle raft?

Has anyone ever used a rigid frame for a cooler in a paddle raft? I have a soft cooler that I use for day trips and just got the NRS Saddle Bag for the old B-day.

When I take the boat for an overnighter, sometimes it is more fun to paddle raft. That said, I was thinking of some custom cut NRS Pipe for the side and cross bars. Add the Low Pro fittings and some rubber stoppers and I could use my regular frame cooler mounts. This would fit between two of the thwarts and give me additional places to lash other gear. Total cost without shipping would be about $80.

Any other cheaper Ideas? Modifications?

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Brendo, have you seen these?

Down River Equipment
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
That DRE frame is cool... But twice the price. Might have to look to a local metal shop that could do it cheaper.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Cooler Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
That DRE frame is cool... But twice the price. Might have to look to a local metal shop that could do it cheaper.
They also sell those drop bags separately for around $60, you could get that and make your own frame out of pipe and T's. Those bags are cool, but if the cooler is not strapped in real tight, the cooler tends to rotate in the bag. I think either way your spending probably $80.
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #5

Eagle County, Colorado
AndyH (hello Andy, are you there?) had a guy (he might even be another buzzard) who makes discount frames for very reasonable prices. I don't remember his URL. I thought it might be rowframes.com or something like that, but that isn't right. He could probably whip something up like this real easy and have a welded version for a good price. Maybe worth sending AndyH a PM.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
there's a guy in lakewood named Earl that's selling a 3-bay frame w/ oar towers for $190. I'd bet that he could make you a cooler frame for pretty cheap too. search Craig's List Denver for "Sand Stake" (he's got those for only $10) or "raft" and send him an email. The only thing is that the joints are joined with a screw going into a fitting welded into the end of the 1 5/8" pipe. check him out - 303-205-1485 .
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think you might be talking about
Raft Frame, Cataraft, Cataraft frame, Rowframe, and Whitewater Equipment

I have no experience with them, but the prices and stuff they say on their website seems right on point. If anyone has a frame from these guys I would love to hear about it.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #8

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Sounds Like A NRS Commercial In Colorado

Local Folks Can Do Better At 1/2 The Cost of The Moscow ID Company. GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Has anyone ever used a rigid frame for a cooler in a paddle raft? I have a soft cooler that I use for day trips and just got the NRS Saddle Bag for the old B-day.

When I take the boat for an overnighter, sometimes it is more fun to paddle raft. That said, I was thinking of some custom cut NRS Pipe for the side and cross bars. Add the Low Pro fittings and some rubber stoppers and I could use my regular frame cooler mounts. This would fit between two of the thwarts and give me additional places to lash other gear. Total cost without shipping would be about $80.

Any other cheaper Ideas? Modifications?
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I saw something that reminded me of this post so I thought I would pass it along as for a "cooler frame" this is the way I would go.

How to build a river raft frame

basically get the quickclamps from frountierplay, but some tubing from Lowe's, a NRS cooler hanger and away you go.
figure $60 to NRS, $40 for 4 clamps plus the tubing ~$120 or so.

Build your own cooler hanger and you are at less than $100.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #10

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Low-rent cooler frame

At the local building supply, get four 1-inch EMT conduit 90 elbows, enough 1-inch IPS (1.315 OD) chainlink toprail tubing for the sides and ends, and eight 1/4 x1-1/2" round head machine screws with acorn nuts.

Minimum tools are a tubing cutter or hacksaw, a half-round coarse file, a centerpunch, and a drill with 1/4" bit.

The corners go like this:

Below is a simple frame made this way (with the conduit corners pop-riveted rather than pinned with machine screws). The advantage of screws is the frame can be taken apart.

For a stout drop-in rig, you could add four SpeedRail 1" IPS #5 Tee-E fittings (from DRE or Nu-Rail) and crossbars.

To suspend the cooler, use four rigging straps (4-ft. loop straps are nice for the top).

I'd guess you're going to rig it lengthwise, with straps around the thwarts. There were some big paddle-rafts on the Grand set up that way.

Whatever you do, have fun.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting