Cooler as front seat in a Cat - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2013   #1

Prattville, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2005
Cooler as front seat in a Cat

What is downside of placing cooler about 18 back from front yoke and using it for passengers to sit on. My concern is that it would be fine for flatter stuff, but if it were from float tube to float tube would impede water from coming threw frame. I have full cargo floor from front to rear yoke made of mesh by Stitches 'N Stuff if that matters. Maybe I don't want it to come threw frame? This my first Cat, and I know sometimes I wish my 13' self bailed raft would allow water to instantly run threw it. Any wisdom and experience would be greatly appreciated. I do realize the balance issues and will have a seat available on rear yoke for when we are not carrying gear in the rear.

BamaRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013   #2

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
Having the heavy cooler away from the center of the boat can make it harder to spin or throw your trim off depending on how the rest of the boat is weighted.

Also, make sure you're not going to wack your passenger with an oar handle.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the waves passing through. If it's a gear boat, something's going to be in that spot. If you're running IV-V, probably more of a concern.
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #3

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
I prefer to set my cooler behind me and let passengers sit on it there.
Gives your riders a little drier ride, and keeps them out of your way. You end up rowing from forward of center, and lets you have some of that "flow through" effect your looking for.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It depends on what you are running and how you are packed. I would rather have a cooler of beer in front of me than to have to have a frontal lobotomy.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have run a open bay in front on hells canyon with two people up front.... I ran it like that on hells for the fishing aspect... otherwise my passenger rides behind me and I have a cooler and dry box in the very front...
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I run close to an open bay in my rowing section with a 12" wooden platform with 50% covered with 2x2 slats plus about 16" of fully open. My wife likes the urinal opportunity that this offers.

The passenger foot section in the front is all 50% slat coverage.

The rest of my 12' frame is all obstructed by dryboxes, coolers etc

I dont have much a concern in big rapids because the cat still cuts through better than any raft as far as stability. Maybe even with this blockage it still lets enough water through to tame the class III- IV rapids that i occasionally run.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Water flows between the tubes of a cat and crashes into the first obstacle it encounters. It is already several feet past the bow and beneath the cat. With momentum, a cat can ride over taller haystacks than a raft, which will be slipping right or left after encountering a wave, and will continue to track foward. Keep the space between your tubes above waterline and you will appreciate the benefits of a cat.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #8

Prattville, Alabama
Thanks for all the great info, keep it coming. I think I am going to set up the first two crossbars that sit behind the front yoke for a Canyon Mariner cooler. Welding in front to back spreaders between them to completely circle and hang it. I will be using this for passengers when on over night trips while carrying all the rest of gear in the rear. When I want to run Big stuff daily I will just remove cooler and replace it with a deck/ seat made of foam, epoxy and fiberglass that fits in same bay and allow water to pass threw.
Old 04-08-2013   #9

Watertown, South Dakota
Paddling Since: 2000
Keeps you drier and your passengers wetter. Depending on how you rig it it can be tough for your passengers to finds something to hold on too that doesn't seem like an entrapment hazard.
rudy8655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #10

Prattville, Alabama
Rudy, I was thinking about using something like the "Love Handles" from Stiches n' Stuff.