Cooler and dry box placement - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2017   #1

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Cooler and dry box placement

I am about to go on my first overnight trip with the raft. I guess I haven't paid enough attention when on my buddies' boats, but what is the general consensus on how to put a cooler and dry box into the frame?

I have a Yeti 125 and so it is roughly 20" tall, I have on land a 12" drop from frame to floor, the "rim tab" around the Yeti sits at roughly 15 1/2". So it seems I cannot rest the yet on that rim (if that is even something you are supposed to do) so do I just adjust my frame so the yeti is held by friction at a point above my floor? It will be a seat for 1-2 people, will it warped or dented the yeti this way?

Also if one were to have a dry box without tabs how are people elevating it off the floor? Drop bags? I don't really like the look of the NRS slings.

Do people put coolers and dry boxes in drop bags or is there another method?

Thanks,

Kevin

yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017   #2

Salida, 81201
Paddling Since: 1995
You can use two 9' cam straps the cradle the cooler and dry box to keep them off the floor. I would snug the cross bars to hold the cooler tight but not wedged. The Yeti is a sweet cooler but it is tall. If you row from it your oar towers may need to be taller. Some people do use a drop bag to hold thier coolers and boxes off the floor. 2 cam straps are only $15. Hope this helps
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017   #3

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Ive never been a fan of drop bags for coolers and dry boxes. I use straps and these. https://www.nrs.com/product/1448/strap-slides they work great once set to the appropriate hight, but it can be a pain setting them up your first time.
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017   #4

As previously mentioned all you really need are the 2 - 9' straps but I do prefer the 1.5" wide that NRS makes. FWIW. I did a ton of research on coolers before I purchased to make sure that what I got fit my frame space well and did not sit too high in the frame as many I looked at had that issue but I run a pretty small boat also.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017   #5

Sorry was in a bit of a hurry earlier but the reason I like the 1.5" straps is that they seem to stay in place a little better and also don't get twisted up as easy either but 1" will work fine too. It is also worth mentioning that you need a system in place to secure your cooler into your frame across the top in case you flip and to help keep the cooler in place. I like to use 2 sets of Loop straps attached to either side of the frame bay for this purpose as they are easy to adjust and slide to the side to allow access to your cooler. Good luck getting it sorted out and hope this helps!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
cascade sells these cooler slings also.. I helped put them on a friends boat this spring. they seem to work fairly well for 15 bucks. Cooler Sling | Cascade River Gear
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017   #7

No need for drop bag or nrs straps. 2" webbing with sewn loops works better than anything, then throw some loop straps over the top. You can use trucker strap corner protectors to help eliminate rotation. Those Cascade cooler slings look like they would work well but I would end up sewing them once you figure out the height. I've tried those metal slides but they would eventually slip for me.

Same thing would work for dry box but unless this is a short term set up, you will want to get some tabs welded or bolted on. Much more stable to row from.

It's a little smaller than the Yeti 125 but the Canyon Prospector is awesome for this- no straps needed to hang it. Nothing wrong with Yeti but they're not really made for rafting.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017   #8

NE, Oregon
I rig my boat according to the needs of the trip, drop bags provide the most flexibility for different cargoes.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017   #9

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have a Yeti 125 as well. Like someone said, they are tall and not really made for rafting. It is hard to put a flip seat over top of them. If you put a pad on it for seating your beers won't be as accessible.

The NRS cooler mounts work OK, but if I were to do it again I'd go for the Cascade Cooler Sling for $15. You won't be able to hang the Yeti from its lip and I wouldn't squeeze it much. I don't see any reason you couldn't put it in a drop bag, but that's more expensive and possibly less stable than slings.

I'd get someone to weld tabs on your drybox. It should be pretty cheap.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017   #10

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Thanks for all the replies.

So it sounds like everyone agrees on a few things: Don't squeeze the Yeti, Yeti are overpriced, really tall, not made for rafting coolers (only reason we have it is wife has pro deal) and most say use slings and not drop bags. Straps over the whole cooler to keep it locked down.

I will probably be rowing from a small RTIC cooler for now, but eventually a drop box. Are most people just using slings for the drop box too? Just seems like tabs up the cost by about $100-250 depending on how you look at it.

Thanks again
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote