Contact Solution - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Days Ago   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Contact Solution

I have always struggled removing and replacing my contacts on the river, no matter what I do everything gets gritty and nasty, taking them out at night is especially challenging. Do you have any tips and tricks to make the process easier?

Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #2

central, Oregon
I use disposables on overnight trips. Throw them out at night and a brand new pair each morning before you leave the tent. No need to do or bring anything else.
Old 1 Day Ago   #3

Laser eye surgery! Best $ I ever spent. No more putting in contacts while in swirly eddies or running rivers blind
wharf-rat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23 Hours Ago   #4
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
+1 on the Lasik

Before that I went the disposable route, but being cheap, I also reused as often as I could. My trick was to keep a pretty good sized clean piece of lint free cloth like Rayon and rinse, rinse, rinse right over the cloth after a really thorough hand scrubbing. Worked out OK. Sarongs work really good for this.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Hours Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
+2 on LASIK. Did it 13 trouble-free years ago.

Got tired of dealing with trying to keep my eyes closed while rolling and changing contacts while camping...or dealing with sweaty/fogging glasses and prescription sunglasses.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Hours Ago   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for the responses everyone. I disposables the the way to go for now. I'll hop on Lasik as soon as I can, for now my eyes are changing every year so my doc told me to wait for things to stabilize. It's amazing to me that surgery pays for itself in s few years vs. contacts and annual eye exams.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Hour Ago   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Fly By Night, if your eyes are well suited you could try extended-wear contacts that you can sleep in. I have worn these for longer than I can remember. I currently wear Bauch & Lomb PureVision that are rated for 30 days and they are great.

When I am home I take them out once a week to give my eyes a break and when camping or rafting I just don't worry about them. I did a 25-day Grand trip this past January and I put in a new pair before I left and took them out when I got home with no problems. As an old guy I appreciate that these come in a multi-focal version so that I can read my river map without having to pull out a pair of reading glasses.

I am a rafter, not a kayaker, so I don't have to worry about being underwater, or at least not very often!
Ever_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote