concealed carry and GC - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-10-2012   #1

Terra Alta, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1998
concealed carry and GC

I have a few friends on either side of this. It is now legal to carry in national parks. Is there a legit reason to carry on GC or not. I'd like to hear thoughts both ways. Particularly thoughts on Indian reservation issues.

Daggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I wasn't aware that concealed carry was now legal in National Parks.
Open carry is now legal (as of late 2011) in National Parks.

Indian reservations are sovereign nations and neither Arizona nor Federal regulations explicitly apply.

Since it's a permitted river, and non-permitted use (hikers) have to expend a lot of energy to get to the river bottom, the likelihood of 2-legged predators being a problem is slim--approaching none. I don't think there would be a legit reason to carry.

And since one can OC but not CC, it would be difficult to carry on your person without looking like you are more of a threat than any perceived threat you might be trying to forestall.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerdave View Post
Is there a legit reason to carry on GC or not.
No.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I disagree. My last trip it was 3 of us, camped in a little hideout that was clearly bear country--cow and cubs. She came back at night while we were eating and growled at us and it REALLY sucked. Though she didn't bother us that night, she certainly could have. I'd have slept better if I'd brought my .357 and I'll never go without again.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #5
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I don't see a big obvious reason to carry, but you just never know. I typically carry in any backcountry/ forest area. If I had to pie chart my reasons I'd say 1/3 predatory animals/ animal threats and 2/3 people. I've had enough guns pointed at me, I want to be able to point back. In Oregon bears don't scare me much, cougars scare the hell out of me. I've seen them on the Clackamas (actually Fish Creek) and the Trask in the middle of the day. I saw a bobcat on the Table Rock fork Molalla, but I have no clue how many times they have seen me. (Way more I bet!)
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #6

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFXR View Post
I disagree. My last trip it was 3 of us, camped in a little hideout that was clearly bear country--cow and cubs. She came back at night while we were eating and growled at us and it REALLY sucked. Though she didn't bother us that night, she certainly could have. I'd have slept better if I'd brought my .357 and I'll never go without again.
In the Grand Canyon? No offense intended but that's news to me and I've been running that river since 1976. I'm going with no reason down there.

I'm not a big proponent of guns in the parks but I do have to admit I was pretty nervous the night I spend at Tate Creek on the Rogue on a solo trip last summer. I saw 5 bears within 15 minutes right by my camp. Not sure if a gun would have done anything if one attacked me before I could grab it but it might have let me sleep a little better.
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #7

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Take the gun. I know some super anti gun, and over protective Grand lovers are going to want you to keep that place holy like it is the robe of Jesus. Take the gun, and use it if you need to. I sure would. Just think how things would have been different if Ned Beaty would have had a gun in the 70's on that river trip with Burt Reynolds.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #8

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
It is legal to carry in a national park if you are in compliance with the state law in which the NP is located. So if you can conceal carry in Arizona, you can conceal carry in the Grand Canyon.
Paddle Iraq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #9

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I almost carried on my first trip down the river. I was more worried about the trip to the canyon than anything in the canyon for reasons I won't go into here. On that trip there were no problems on the way to the canyon, but we woke up in Grapevine Camp with cougar tracks between the tents. On my second trip I left it at home again because I didn't want it in my kayak (too high of a chance of losing it), and I did not know the rafters well enough to trust them with it.

If you want to carry and can do it legally go ahead and carry. A Forest Service ranger I work with told me there is a little known federal law that allows people in the backcountry on federal land to carry concealed even if they have no permit. Seeing as it is a little known law I would find a copy of it and carry it with you.

That being said if you are going to take a gun take a rifle. My gun of choice on river trips is a Marlin Guide Gun with some hot .45-70 hardcast lead rounds for lethal force and blanks or rubber training rounds to run off big wildlife they would not appreciate me shooting.

One thing's for sure. It keeps the condors in line!

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Is it ok to mount a turret on my cataraft?