Commercial trip with kids on Gates of Lodore - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-08-2013   #1

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Commercial trip with kids on Gates of Lodore

Can anyone recommend a commercial outfitter for me and my Godson for this July? He's 12- a suburban kid from Baltimore. I'm an experienced Colorado boater- but because his folks are loaning him to me for a few days, I thought a trip like this would probably blow his mind and get him hooked on the West, while putting his parents' minds at ease about safety. Hoping for good staff, other kids around his age for him to meet and relate to- and a good time for me as well. Appreciate any input, stories, warnings, recommendations!

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013   #2

Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I did the Gates of Lodore as my first rafting trip when I was 15. We went with Adrift Adventures and I was hooked after that trip. They did a great job but that was 15 years ago. I checked their website and if you can go July 11 the kid goes for free

Kids Raft FREE - Utah River Rafting | Utah River Rafting
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #3

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Dinosaur River Expeditions. The owners are good river folk.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
I've had great experiences with Sherri Griffith Expeditions, but I have not used any others, so can't really compare.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Great section to get someone hooked on western rivers. I work periodically for Holiday, and think we offer a very kid-friendly trip. The launch dates are pretty much every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. (Lodore Canyon White Water Rafting Trip)

Turner - 15 years ago with Adrift? I might have been your guide... They've changed owners since then, so I don't know much about the current operations.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #6

vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 1986
Great choice! Any one of the ten commercial outfitters will serve your needs. Dinosaur River Expeditions, Hatch/OARS, Holiday River Expeditions, and Adrift Adventures (under new ownership), all have permanent locations in Vernal. The other six have locations outside the area. Your Godson will fall in love with Lodore. Good luck.
melmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Adventure Bound River Expeditions. Well run operation, fantastic guides, food is great.
Old 03-09-2013   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Adventure Bound River Expeditions. Well run operation, fantastic guides, food is great.

The Steamboat connection is BIG plus- any more info or personal experience on these guys? Thanks everyone- getting psyched!
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
AB info

Call Tom at AB. If you are a bit flexible about dates in July, he might be able to book you and your god son on a trip that has other kids his age.

Ran Gates with AB a few years ago...awesome beach campsites, played games, hikes, stops at historic and rock art sites, etc.

Also ran Westwater and Cataract; hubby was able to run Ten Cent...all great trips, safety is foremost with them.

This was a few years back...we were able to bring our own Paco pads and as beverages as we wanted...very accommodating.
Old 03-10-2013   #10

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Can anyone recommend a commercial outfitter for me and my Godson for this July? He's 12- a suburban kid from Baltimore. I'm an experienced Colorado boater- but because his folks are loaning him to me for a few days, I thought a trip like this would probably blow his mind and get him hooked on the West, while putting his parents' minds at ease about safety. Hoping for good staff, other kids around his age for him to meet and relate to- and a good time for me as well. Appreciate any input, stories, warnings, recommendations!
Or he will bitch the entire time because there is no TV, and it is hot.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote