Colorado Whitewater Book? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-15-2016   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Colorado Whitewater Book?

Hello Everyone,
Other than one late season (extremely low-water) maiden voyage down the Arkansas near Salida, I am still very much a rookie. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on a good Colorado (or other) whitewater guide book to help plan trips for the coming summer? I have searched and read on-line about trips and various river sections, but thought it would be nice during the winter to flip through a solid book while trying to plan out future whitewater trips. Looking for some very mild (class II) stuff as we are just getting into the rafting scene and still have small kids. Thanks for any advice.

markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Colorado has embarrassingly good guidebooks. Whitewater of the Southern Rockies is the most comprehensive with the most updated information. Colorado Rivers & Creeks is older but still a classic. I recommend getting them both.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Permit season is coming to a close soon if you want to travel a little get your requests in quickly
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you can get your hands on a copy of Western Whitewater by Cassidy, Cross, and Calhoun that's a great book for rafting runs with lots of detailed info, mile-by-mile river guides, access info, and great essays about many rivers and issues affecting them. It's out of print but copies are available.

Enjoy!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Colorado has embarrassingly good guidebooks. Whitewater of the Southern Rockies is the most comprehensive with the most updated information. Colorado Rivers & Creeks is older but still a classic. I recommend getting them both.
These are the standard for whitewater guidebooks in the Rocky Mountain region, but based on your experience level Paddling Colorado by Dunbar Hardy would probably be very useful. It covers primarily class 2 and 3 water, which gets very brief and insufficient descriptions in the other 2 books.

http://www.amazon.com/Paddling-Color.../dp/0762745207
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
If you can get your hands on a copy of Western Whitewater by Cassidy, Cross, and Calhoun that's a great book for rafting runs with lots of detailed info, mile-by-mile river guides, access info, and great essays about many rivers and issues affecting them. It's out of print but copies are available.

Enjoy!

-AH
+1 on this. I call that book "The River Bible." I have a well worn copy that is my most valuable river resource. Too bad it's out of print now, but it's still a great overview of all the western rivers.