Colorado This Weekend - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2015   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Colorado This Weekend

Hi, I want to take a run down the Colorado this weekend. I usually head down from Grizzly Creek through South Canyon this time of year, but it looks super big and probably blown out. The other option I'm thinking of is Pumphouse to State Bridge, but I've only run that at low levels in my open decked fishing dory. What's that run like at today's levels? Needles Eye and Yarmony? Or, what about that State Bridge to Two Bridges run? Naw, too mellow. Curious as we're looking for max fun in whitewater dory...which is looking like the Pumphouse run

Thanks for any input you can share!
-Fin

finripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Pumphouse is gassing >6000 cfs right now. Laterals in Needle Eye are huge and chaotic, Yarmony hole would eat a bus.

It's a VERY different experience at these levels than at 1500cfs.

I wouldn't make a recommendation either way, not knowing your comfort level with big, cold, fast water...but yeah, Pumphouse grows mean and unforgiving at flows like this.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardance42 View Post
Pumphouse is gassing >6000 cfs right now. Laterals in Needle Eye are huge and chaotic, Yarmony hole would eat a bus.

It's a VERY different experience at these levels than at 1500cfs.

I wouldn't make a recommendation either way, not knowing your comfort level with big, cold, fast water...but yeah, Pumphouse grows mean and unforgiving at flows like this.
Thanks. I'm pretty comfortable in big knarl having done The Grand, Westwater, Lunch Counter / Big Kahuna on the Snake, etc. I will have newbie passengers, however. I was just checking out some YouTube vids of Pumphouse at levels > 8k and it doesn't look that bad?? The 2 extra thousand CFS must mellow it out a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by finripple View Post
Thanks. I'm pretty comfortable in big knarl having done The Grand, Westwater, Lunch Counter / Big Kahuna on the Snake, etc. I will have newbie passengers, however. I was just checking out some YouTube vids of Pumphouse at levels > 8k and it doesn't look that bad?? The 2 extra thousand CFS must mellow it out a bit.
Have fun, be safe.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #5

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
At 6300 & rising there's lots of waves & good splashy fun. As noted eye of the needle has a couple of holes to dodge & yarmony will fuck you up if you don't go left entering the rapid & get back to center (there are a couple holes along the wall as the river turns right). Good high water fun if you gots the skills, but in a dory could be dicey. Stay safe out there!
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Leisure View Post
At 6300 & rising there's lots of waves & good splashy fun. As noted eye of the needle has a couple of holes to dodge & yarmony will fuck you up if you don't go left entering the rapid & get back to center (there are a couple holes along the wall as the river turns right). Good high water fun if you gots the skills, but in a dory could be dicey. Stay safe out there!
Pro Leisure as in the Boulder based band? Ha. Thanks for the input. From what you guys are saying, I should probably run this one with an experienced buddy before taking the newbies down. So, that means we'll probably do the Grizzly to South Canyon run instead. Do you happen to know if the take out at South Canyon is practical to access at current levels? Seems like it might be hard to get in there, or no eddy?
Old 06-05-2015   #7

grizzly to glenwood is hardly anything except a beer float until the levels get up above 6k. nothing difficult at any level.

cooler weather coming today and the weekend, rate of flow increase should lessen.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhenry View Post
grizzly to glenwood is hardly anything except a beer float until the levels get up above 6k. nothing difficult at any level.

cooler weather coming today and the weekend, rate of flow increase should lessen.
Yeah, it's really about those fun waves in South Canyon, but that's about it...
Old 06-05-2015   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Whatever you run out there this weekend be careful. Have fun.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #10
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
hey so i live at rancho and run pumphouse with custies everyday. i'm looking for paddlers this weekend.
i'm midway thru training my rookie. gotta have paddle support to get him used to the feel of taking customers ya know.
anyone that wants to join is welcome.

so at needles eye, you gotta go right, but beware of a big lateral wave coming just off the right bank, immediately after the turn. you can't see it from above, and it's probly big enough to flip a boat right now. just square up to it and your good.
and the right side at yarmony is opened up above 6k. it's tight, but it's way easier than going left and trying to push back to center/right before the ledges at the bottom left. it's pretty pushy in there at these flows. either way, if you stay out of the hole in the top center, you'll be fine.
other than those 2 rapids, everything else is easy. point and shoot!!

finripple, we'll be running laps all weekend if you wanna follow us down or share a shuttle or something.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote