Coffee for 20 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2017   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Coffee for 20

What's everyone's favorite method of making large quantities of coffee on the river? Percolators seem to take too much time/gas. Drip coffee/filters ain't gonna keep up. Thoughts?

cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2017   #2

summit, Colorado
Cowboy coffee. Boil big pot of water, turn off heat, dump in bag of ground coffee. Let it steep for a while, then strain into a big Igloo beverage cooler/dispenser.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #3

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
we use a blaster to boil a 36 cup tea pot...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035GYMO6...a-304995850070

after boiling, it is removed from heat, and then the appropriate amount of coffee is set to steep in a paint strainer bag https://www.grainger.com/product/2AJ...170824192818:s

This has worked great for us time and time again...

if you really want to nerd out about your coffee, there are several other great methods, but as you pointed out pour over, for y'all, just takes too long. I get that, especially with a large group.
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2017   #4
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
First of all, one person has the designated job title of Barista. Best filled by an early riser that appreciates a good Cup o' Joe. The barista is a busy position for an hour or two.

Then either-
Three 12 cup percolators on a 2 burner stove, keep 'em going and about 2 rotations will cover the needs of even a heavy caffeine addicted group
-or (better)-
A big kettle and 2 or 3 stainless steel french presses. They make 1 and 1.5 liter presses out of double wall stainless, they work great and they are fairly inexpensive. Look up a youtube or two on using a french press, the stirring and wait times are critical to good coffee. The double wall insulates effectively for an hour or more.
Peace.
Old 08-24-2017   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
this in the 36 cup size:
Cabela's Campfire Coffee Pot : Cabela's

and a blaster, repeat as necessary (won't be many repeats a day I can assure you).
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Mac View Post
we use a blaster to boil a 36 cup tea pot...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035GYMO6...a-304995850070

after boiling, it is removed from heat, and then the appropriate amount of coffee is set to steep in a paint strainer bag https://www.grainger.com/product/2AJ...170824192818:s

This has worked great for us time and time again...

if you really want to nerd out about your coffee, there are several other great methods, but as you pointed out pour over, for y'all, just takes too long. I get that, especially with a large group.

I second this method, especially for big groups. Less clean up too.
I also fully support a Barista...
thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Cuzin:

I make cowboy coffee in a 36 cup pot. It started life as a percolator, but percolating sucked so I took the percolator parts out and just use the Pot.

For fast, strong coffee for 15-25 people:

1) Fill with water up to bottom of spout holes.
2) Boil, pour a little boiling water into a thermos to prime thermos for coffee.
3) Pour 2.5 cups of course ground coffee in the pot.
4) Stir vigorously with large spoon.
5) Let sit for two minutes, open top, grounds will have floated to the surface and formed a stiff cake. Smash up cake of grounds and stir vigorously again.
6) return to low heat for 8 or so minutes.
7) Open lid and stir vigorously.
Pour 1 cup of cold water into top of vortex of funnel formed by vigorous stir, do not pour into middle of vortext straight to the bottom.
9) Cold water will settle to the bottom and pull grounds that were in the center of the vortex to the bottom as well.
10) Pour first pour into thermos and fill thermos for later.
11) Serve directly into mugs with a nice selection of Whiskey, Bailey's Irish Cream, Half and Half, etc.
12) Make your friend clean the grounds out of the pot.

Best of luck,

Tom
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
There are several ways to make large quantities of coffee and all of them work for specific people. I have used many of them IE cowboy, multiple perks, filters into a big thermos container etc. A good friend of mine uses cloth bags of coffee he tosses in a big 5 or so gallon drink dispenser type cooler full of hot water and it works super well.

What I am using now is two stainless steel Bodum coffee presses. Expensive but I watched amazon and got mine some time ago on the rare sales amazon has. These stainless steel units are bomber and last forever even on float trips. We get a big container of water going by the early risers. I have the coffee measure containers set out and make sure folks understand the procedures. First run is both presses. Both of them are insulated. As more folks show up more runs of which ever is empty press are done. Tea / chocolate drinkers just brew from the hot water pot. Any left over coffee is usually put in a small thermos for those who want a mid morning coffee break.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #9

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
First person up boils a bunch of water and sets up the Aeropress station. Self served, less than 30 seconds a cup, nice and fresh unlike the last few cups out of a french press.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I generally don't do trips longer than 3/4 days as a rule of thumb. And I like to cook. Therefore, there is usually significant action making breakfast in my camp kitchen. One of the advantages to making one big pot of cowboy coffee is that it minimizes the number of people in your way in the kitchen if you are making pancakes/burritos/french toast, etc.

For a quick, no dish line, hot water for drinks and oatmeal breakfast, the presses and individual Aeropress would probably beat my system hand's down. Fort a kitchen crew of 3-4 whipping up breakfast for 15-25, the big pot and a thermos lets you break everything down quickly.

Tom
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote