Clearance around side boards - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 1 Week Ago  

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Clearance around side boards

I tried and liked my ghetto 2x6 side boards this summer so I am going to make some nice ones out of plywood this winter. To those of you who have done this in the past how much clearance ha e you found to be a good amount between your boxes and side boards?

Thanks in advance.

-Fly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago  

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I'm redesigning my frame and was just thinking about this same question. In my case I have to think about leaving sufficient space for the side mounted handles on my long dry box. If it is too tight of a fit, I risk smashed fingers when placing the box into the hole. (Handle placement on dry boxes may differ) So I'm going for enough space for a hand on the handle and then once it's in, enough space to also be able to reach down into the chasm to fetch that important item that fell in between the dry box and the tube.
Old 1 Week Ago  

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I made the mistake of not leaving enough room to get my hand between the frame and my dry box when I built it, it's not aggravating enough to build another box, but I sure do chastise myself every time I rig and de-rig the boat. I'd say 4 inches would be the minimum you'd want but everyone has their preferences. I combat the lack of clearance by opening the box and lifting from the inner lip as a workaround.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago  

Denver, Colorado
I cut little routed handle gaps for my dry box. This way I don't crush fingers dropping it in and the rest of the board still prevents side to side movement of the box.
Old 1 Week Ago  

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I made the mistake of not leaving enough room to get my hand between the frame and my dry box when I built it, it's not aggravating enough to build another box, but I sure do chastise myself every time I rig and de-rig the boat. I'd say 4 inches would be the minimum you'd want but everyone has their preferences. I combat the lack of clearance by opening the box and lifting from the inner lip as a workaround.
4" from the edge of your box or 4" past the handles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhusbands View Post
I cut little routed handle gaps for my dry box. This way I don't crush fingers dropping it in and the rest of the board still prevents side to side movement of the box.
I was planning on cutting some reliefs for my drybox handles. Probably cooler too but with rope handles I don't think the reliefs will need to be as deep. Do you run the rest of the board tight to your drybox?
Old 1 Week Ago  

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Half inch rope or any rope or webbing with a short piece of old garden hose (4") makes a good "handle extender" if you're in a tight fit scenario...
I never had the back to lift a big 'ole dry box in and out of boat, one reason I went to plastic boxes for kitchen. They're cheap and don't last forever, but 2 or 3# versus 48 for my big (admittedly made for motor) dry box. Plus you're "modular" - can get everything for 3-4 peeps into one, or the whole shebang for GC trip (15-16 folks) into two.
Old 1 Week Ago  

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I like the solution with a rail welded to the drybox resting on a rail on the frame...and the handles above.

of course, my own drybox has neither. haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f1336f3766c4810d25842f1b2caf7e8f.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	40797  
Old 1 Week Ago  

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
4" from the edge of your box or 4" past the handles?

4 inches from the edge of my drybox, the handles I use are flip down, 1.5" stick out from the drybox, allowing 3" for my grubby paw to clear.
Old 1 Week Ago  

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I like the solution with a rail welded to the drybox resting on a rail on the frame...and the handles above.
of course, my own drybox has neither. haha

I built my drybox to sit flush with the diamondplate decking so I could sleep on a totally flat surface. That is a nice setup in the photos though.
Old 1 Week Ago  

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I was going to build a longer/wider/shorter drybox to do the same.

then I built a dory with a smooth deck.

Doubt I'll worry much anymore about the raft's drybox!