Clearance around side boards - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz
 

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
 
Denver, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 491
"Do you run the rest of the board tight to your drybox?"

Not tight, but maybe a 3/4 inch Gap on each end except for handle cutouts. And I have the stock spring handles, which I like.

markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
 
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I like the solution with a rail welded to the drybox resting on a rail on the frame...and the handles above.


of course, my own drybox has neither. haha
Careful, if you post 3 of his pics, he shows up like Beetlejuice.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
 
codycleve's Avatar
 
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,124
I have my boards pretty close. about an inch gap with cut outs for the handles of my dry boxes.. no need for cut outs for the cooler as you lower it in with rope handles then tuck them in. I also made cut outs just big enough so my captains boxes would open without touching.. I wanted to get my gaps small enough that there was no way a foot or hand could get entrapped in there..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_151046.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	933.1 KB
ID:	40803   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_151127 (1).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	40805  

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 195
Side boards

I see the heads of some carriage bolts and some black spacers along the zip ties, what are you using for the nuts?
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
 
codycleve's Avatar
 
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by zercon View Post
I see the heads of some carriage bolts and some black spacers along the zip ties, what are you using for the nuts?
They are spacer pucks from whitewater machine works. Accessories

they happen to be just the right height so i can rest my side decks on the kee lite fittings and use these as supports on the longer stretches so my deck floats. this way it is really easy to run straps around the deck or frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_151106.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	827.0 KB
ID:	40809  
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
 
caverdan's Avatar
 
C. Springs, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,796
FWIW, I wouldn't make them any wider than the rails of your frame for the pinch factor they present. I'm thinking if one gets bucked out of their seat, (being high back, low back or Paco pad....) they could receive a good butt pinching between the box and the board with only an inch or two of clearance.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
FWIW, I wouldn't make them any wider than the rails of your frame for the pinch factor they present. I'm thinking if one gets bucked out of their seat, (being high back, low back or Paco pad....) they could receive a good butt pinching between the box and the board with only an inch or two of clearance.
Thanks for the tip. I was planning on setting my decks on the rails for support, I'm thinking about how to get a strap around the frame and under the deck easily for securing the frame to the boat, perhaps it'll reveal itself when the rough shape is cut out.

How dare you insinuate I would have a high back seat on my boat! What kind of monster do you think I am?!
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18
 
caverdan's Avatar
 
C. Springs, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
How dare you insinuate I would have a high back seat on my boat! What kind of monster do you think I am?!
Actually........I'm thinking your a stand up kind of guy when it comes to rowing......
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
 
Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 194
I like to run my decks an inch smaller than the inside of the tubes as that space is generally unusable to store an ammo can or water jug.


I create strap holes in the boards by drilling 1/2" holes the appropriate distance apart for the desired strap and connecting them with a jigsaw or router with straight cutting bit.


I round over all edges with a 1/4" radius bit on a router.
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
 
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
I have my boards pretty close. about an inch gap with cut outs for the handles of my dry boxes.. no need for cut outs for the cooler as you lower it in with rope handles then tuck them in. I also made cut outs just big enough so my captains boxes would open without touching.. I wanted to get my gaps small enough that there was no way a foot or hand could get entrapped in there..
Nice decking. Could you tell me the brand and where you got it? Thanks!
delmarhotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.