Clear Creek Closed Today for Tubers (Temporarily) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-12-2013   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Clear Creek Closed Today for Tubers (Temporarily)

Golden Police Closing Clear Creek to Tubers

Golden, Colo. ­— June 12, 2013 — Effective at noon on Wednesday, June 12, 2013, by order of the City of Golden Police Department, waterway activities on Clear Creek will be limited. The boundaries affected by the order extend from Grant Terry Park Bridge, mile marker 270 and eastward along the canyon through the city limits of Golden including Vanover Park.
This order is being taken due to limited resources with our Fire Rescue crews. Golden Fire has a crew at the Black Forest Fire, and a large number of our water rescue crew members with assistance from West Metro Fire Rescue, will be working all day to remove a car and victim out of the creek further up the canyon. Because our resources and those of our mutual aid partners are stretched very thin and water levels are high, we are closing the creek for the day.

Water activities prohibited by the order include all single-chambered air inflated devices such as belly boats, inner tubes and single chambered rafts, as well as “body-surfers” and swimming. Violators may be issued a summons for a class 2 petty offense, punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars. These restrictions will be strictly enforced in an effort to minimize the risk to those using the waterway.

Kayaks, whitewater canoes and multi-chambered professionally guided rafts and river boards are exempt, but are encouraged to observe extreme caution due to the safety concerns surrounding swift moving water and floating debris. All of the above users and occupants must have the use of a Type I, Type III or Type V Coast Guard approved paddling life jacket and a water use designated helmet.

These temporary water restrictions will remain in effect until further notice.

PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
There you have it buzzards; now pulling your skirt in clear creek isn't just a bad idea due to the high water, it's against the law.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #3

Golden, Colorado
They are hoping to lift restrictions quickly. They are just super-short on personnel right now. Spread thin....lots going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013   #4

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
They don't have the resources to handle swimmers in distress but they have the resources to write tickets.
raymod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymod2 View Post
They don't have the resources to handle swimmers in distress but they have the resources to write tickets.
To be fair, the ticket writers are not the same group as the rescuers. Cops write tickets, fireman and search & rescue save your ass when you're up shit creek without your paddle.

There's a difference in the groups.
Old 06-12-2013   #6

Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by raymod2

__________________________________________________ _____

You can bash all you want, but I personally think they are doing a great job this spring/summer. I have heard of a few warnings being handed out for glass open containers (use your head, idiot) and one ticket to a guy who had his BBQ grill actually in the creek (complete moron), but the Rangers have been pretty cool. Better than the sh*t-show they had last year.
Old 06-12-2013   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymod2 View Post
Golden Fire (mostly unpaid volunteers) is working the Black Forest Fire east of Colorado Springs.
Search & Rescue (also volunteers) is doing a body/vehicle recovery in dangerous water up Clear Creek.

What have you done for your community other than whine?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #8

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I have no problem with fire and rescue being spread thin. I do have a problem with the police telling me I can't be on the water because of it. If I ever need the services of fire and rescue I will be glad to have it but I sure as hell don't get on the water expecting it.
raymod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #9

golden
Where is the car in the river?
Old 06-12-2013   #10

Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Exactly Rich. Banning tubers is fine with me for short periods. They have a propensity to suck up resources and don't give a damn about safety. Spent more than trip chasing them down and towing them to shore because they were too tired to swim. I am a fan of Darwin, but have spent too much time and training keeping people alive to sit back and watch someone go down.