Clean - Drain - Dry - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2020   #21
 
Blue River, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 93
I didn't intend this post to attack Aire. I just wondered how some inspector was going to get boaters (some of whom have never opened the tube to look at the bladder) to comply?

Honestly the inspection process in the Tetons was a jokew. A couple of questions and we went. I was honest, but not everyone will be.

And why would anyone bring little Greta into this thread Ron? She's a better poster child for exploited children than for environmental issues. I agree with MT4Runner. Her parents are garbage. It won't be long before she's preaching here in Colorado. Nothing like hearing parrots regurgitate propaganda..

cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2020   #22
 
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Grifgav, I'd be very interested in knowing what you find. I do not own a bladder bailer. I wonder if my friends boat is abnormal with regard to how much silt it collects. I went back and read several previous threads here on MB and some postings deny that is a problem.
Idaho rivers don't have much silt. If I boated the desert rivers more I bet I would see a lot more.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020   #23
 
GeoRon's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,204
We are each entitled to our own opinion about Greta.

Her name came up in response to an obvious mocking, in my interpretation, of an inconvenient truth, invasive species in our rivers.

I consider Greta a concerned representative of her generation who is better read and already more worldly experienced than most anyone we might know.

The fact that she is multi-lingual and then mocked about English being her second language makes me that much prouder of her and ashamed of her mockers. What a narrow (minded) world view that English must be your first language.

The fact that she is not ashamed of her high functioning autism and considers it a personal strength makes me that much prouder of her and ashamed of her mockers. A true inspiration for anyone who might feel challenged in any way.

The fact that she is knowledgeable of some inconvenient truths and is activated while some much less well read deniers mock her "parroting" of undeniable facts makes me that much more proud of her and ashamed of deniers of obvious truths.

I'm especially proud of her parents for allowing her to pursue her calling at a very young age and the resulting education she received as a result of her international interactions and likely life-long friendships.

I'm happy to think that she will be among tomorrows leaders.

It takes a very little mind to belittle a 17 year old high achiever. BTW, happy belated birthday Greta. To call a young women who speaks about her concerns for the future of her planet "a spoiled little brat" is sad. Please allow me to use some very well chosen and appropriate words, "HOW DARE YOU!"

Go Greta Go!

Greta's Awards before age 17.
Goldene Kamera (2019)
Fritt Ord Award (2019)
Rachel Carson Prize (2019)
Ambassador of Conscience Award (2019)
Right Livelihood Award (2019)
International Children's Peace Prize (2019)
Time Person of the Year (2019)
Nature's 10 (2019)

But everyone is entitled to their opinion. Now what was the topic, oh, zebra mussels. Doing what I can concerning inconvenient truths, I have added a tag in the Western Rivers Report of potentially contaminated rivers of the west. So far fortunately, only the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2020   #24
 
caverdan's Avatar
 
C. Springs, Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
So far only the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon.
To be a little more specific Ron, It's the Colorado River from at least Dirty Devil down to the mouth of the river and includes up the tributaries of the side canyons like the San Juan and Escalate.

For some reading on the subject.......

https://denverwatertap.org/2017/03/2...ing-cling-ons/

Check out this articular on Green Mountain Reservoir from 2017.

.https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/2...ination-boats/
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020   #25
 
GeoRon's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
To be a little more specific Ron, It's the Colorado River from at least Dirty Devil down to the mouth of the river and includes up the tributaries of the side canyons like the San Juan and Escalate.

For some reading on the subject.......

https://denverwatertap.org/2017/03/2...ing-cling-ons/

Check out this articular on Green Mountain Reservoir from 2017.

.https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/2...ination-boats/
Krap. Game over I guess. What do I tag now? The entire length of the Colorado River and all tributaries. Greta is not going to like this.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020   #26
 
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
We are each entitled to our own opinion about Greta.

Her name came up in response to an obvious mocking, in my interpretation, of an inconvenient truth, invasive species in our rivers.

I consider Greta a concerned representative of her generation who is better read and already more worldly experienced than most anyone we might know.

The fact that she is multi-lingual and then mocked about English being her second language makes me that much prouder of her and ashamed of her mockers. What a narrow (minded) world view that English must be your first language.

The fact that she is not ashamed of her high functioning autism and considers it a personal strength makes me that much prouder of her and ashamed of her mockers. A true inspiration for anyone who might feel challenged in any way.

The fact that she is knowledgeable of some inconvenient truths and is activated while some much less well read deniers mock her "parroting" of undeniable facts makes me that much more proud of her and ashamed of deniers of obvious truths.

I'm especially proud of her parents for allowing her to pursue her calling at a very young age and the resulting education she received as a result of her international interactions and likely life-long friendships.

I'm happy to think that she will be among tomorrows leaders.

It takes a very little mind to belittle a 17 year old high achiever. BTW, happy belated birthday Greta. To call a young women who speaks about her concerns for the future of her planet "a spoiled little brat" is sad. Please allow me to use some very well chosen and appropriate words, "HOW DARE YOU!"

Go Greta Go!

Greta's Awards before age 17.
Goldene Kamera (2019)
Fritt Ord Award (2019)
Rachel Carson Prize (2019)
Ambassador of Conscience Award (2019)
Right Livelihood Award (2019)
International Children's Peace Prize (2019)
Time Person of the Year (2019)
Nature's 10 (2019)

But everyone is entitled to their opinion. Now what was the topic, oh, zebra mussels. Doing what I can concerning inconvenient truths, I have added a tag in the Western Rivers Report of potentially contaminated rivers of the west. So far fortunately, only the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon.

And there you have it, personal politics, in a river forum..



I KNEW it....
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020   #27
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 287
I family friend once ran the mussel program at Powell, as I recall wet or not the little guys are all dead after a month without contact with a body of water. As I recall his example was outdrives you probably won't get all the way dry.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020   #28
 
chiefstilh20's Avatar
 
East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 107
I take it serious. I live in a state with economies and power production that could be in jeopardy if/when they are introduced and take hold.

Here is a short clip from a recent WDFW press release:
In 2019, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) inspected more than 32,000 watercrafts, a 31% increase from 2018. About one third of inspected watercrafts came from known infested waters in other states. WDFW detected 18 vessels carrying invasive mussels and 1,200 vessels that failed to meet the clean - drain - dry requirements.

There are other organisims for water users to be aware of such as Myxobolus cerebralis that effects fish populations (a brain parasite). The host for this critter is the tubifex worm (tropical fish food source) - that blob of red wiggly small worm critters that like mud and nutrient rich water in certain Western rivers. This is why there are signs posted on some rivers regarding similar drying/disinfection procedures for fisher persons and others to limit the spread from boats/boots/etc.

The take home is - responsible boaters take the time to do their part. I have a new river gaget (not naming) that I have been thinking of modifying by drilling holes in it to drain and dry quicker - possibly overkill but why chance it.
__________________
I don't get mad, I get even.
chiefstilh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020   #29
 
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 427
It's pretty telling that people in this community will lambaste someone for violating the nitpickiest leave no trace guideline but will then shrug their shoulders at the possibility of accidentally introducing an invasive species.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020   #30
 
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
And there you have it, personal politics, in a river forum..



I KNEW it....
Perhaps you should revisit the post you made just 10 hours prior to this one.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.