Clean - Drain - Dry - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Doing nothing with regard to environmental issues threatening our livelihoods, lives and our children's future doesn't fix anything.
You had me there.

Quote:
I know a young lady who recently spoke at the UN who would not look Droboats way kindly concerning his post.
You lost me here.

I could honestly give a flying f... what some spoiled brat thinks or your appeal to her authoritah.

She spends 200 days a year sailing and I am the problem?

I'll leave her alone, but her parents should be dropped somewhere in the middle of the deep blue with no EPIRB or survival suit. Our earth is going to lose the battle between human population and its carrying capacity and it would be so wonderfully delightful if they would be good examples and lead the charge toward lowering the human population. Oh, but I digress..

Do I care about our rivers? Yes. Do I care about them for myself, my children, my someday grandchildren, my friends, and for you, GeoRon? Yes.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Does anyone have any idea which rivers might be infested here in the west. I'd like to tag them in the flow report posted daily here on MB.

Have mussels been detected below Glen Canyon dam? Have they worked upstream from Lake Powell(can they even work upstream)?

Which begs the question, if you don't boat on infested rivers then there is no need to ever clean out your AIRE bladder to prevent spreading eggs?

However, AIRE round boats require occasional bladder clean out especially during a season of boating silty rivers. A friend shoveled out one-and-a-half five gallon poly buckets of a very fine, dense mud from his air bladder floor. The picture he shared of him standing with shovel at his side with pride next to his buckets and boat looked like a classic Norman Rockwell scene. Moving his boat onto a trailer after a silty trip is like trying to manhandle a two ton resistant walrus. Perhaps that does categorize as a design flaw after all?? Doing this maintenance helps keep the PRV from sticking causing a leaky floor since this is the right time to think about it and clean it.

The worse my big AIRE cats ever get inside is a very fine powder. As suggested, this is likely because the zippers are much higher on the cats, they don't have drain holes and they are generally inflated much tighter tending to seal the back side of the zipper.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post

Have mussels been detected below Glen Canyon dam?
Yes they have. They were first detected below the dam in 2014.

https://rrfw.org/riverwire/quagga-mu...len-canyon-dam

https://www.nps.gov/glca/learn/natur...prevention.htm
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Golden, Colorado
Go ahead and fiddle while Rome, ah Australia, burns, coastal cities flood, extinctions accelerate, etc.

Gore's basic premise of impending man caused climate catastrophes are fundamentally occurring. Countries around the world are spending billions, in time trillions, shoring up coastal defenses so it is happening, but maybe you are unaware.

Specific cases already, high tides in Florida are pushing sea water inland flooding low lying streets. Same in NYC. This is not an opinion, these are facts.

But should we care? Time will tell. I wonder what it will be like when mockers finally realize, wow, I've been wrong about climate change. It is a bummer.
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Thanks caverdan.

That one article says silty water kills the filter feeding mussels. (Probably not the eggs?) I should search concerning mussels in Lake Mead and western river for that matter.

So after a Grand trip boats should be decontaminated before going to other rivers? I'm sure rarely do people do that!

I'm going to tag the Colorado in the GC with a "Z" next to the name, which means, decontaminate after use. I wonder how long eggs survive when dried out?
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

C. Springs, Colorado
Ron,
The way you can decon a raft and kill the little booger's is to completely dry your raft between uses. I always wash my rafts between uses and completely dry them in the sun before rolling them up and storing them for the next trip. So some of us do decon their rafts between rivers, just not at the take out.

This is something that is not easily done with the Aire rafts....especially the floor. I don't doubt one bit that most Aire owners ( mass majority if not all) do not and will not unzip the floor between trips and let the boat completely dry between rivers. So the major design flaw I'm talking about is the inability to be easily decontaminate the boat between uses. The inside of the floor also grows mold and mildew that shouldn't be introduced into rivers.......but I digress...
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Ron,
The way you can decon a raft and kill the little booger's is to completely dry your raft between uses. I always wash my rafts between uses and completely dry them in the sun before rolling them up and storing them for the next trip. So some of us do decon their rafts between rivers, just not at the take out.

This is something that is not easily done with the Aire rafts....especially the floor. I don't doubt one bit that most Aire owners ( mass majority if not all) do not and will not unzip the floor between trips and let the boat completely dry between rivers. So the major design flaw I'm talking about is the inability to be easily decontaminate the boat between uses. The inside of the floor also grows mold and mildew that shouldn't be introduced into rivers.......but I digress...
I'll chime in here. I have owned an Aire 156R since 2013 and until this year, never used it outside of Idaho/Oregon. I opened up the floor once a year to make sure there wasn't anything worrying going on in there. I have never found any mold or mildew in the floor. I have always found a little sand/silt. This year will be a different ball game. Just came off the grand canyon on dec. 21 and I expect to find a shit ton of silt in there when I open it up. but I bet I still won't find any mold. It will be completely decontaminated before it touches an Idaho River. I don't usually open the tubes, but I will this year.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Golden, Colorado
Thanks caverdan. You are right. Rarely do AIRE owners do the prescribed maintenance. In the days of invasive species, AIRE's do have a potential design flaw.
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifgav View Post
Just came off the grand canyon on dec. 21 and I expect to find a shit ton of silt in there when I open it up. but I bet I still won't find any mold. It will be completely decontaminated before it touches an Idaho River. I don't usually open the tubes, but I will this year.
Grifgav, I'd be very interested in knowing what you find. I do not own a bladder bailer. I wonder if my friends boat is abnormal with regard to how much silt it collects. I went back and read several previous threads here on MB and some postings deny that is a problem.
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifgav View Post
I'll chime in here. I have owned an Aire 156R since 2013 and until this year, never used it outside of Idaho/Oregon. I opened up the floor once a year to make sure there wasn't anything worrying going on in there. I have never found any mold or mildew in the floor. I have always found a little sand/silt. This year will be a different ball game. Just came off the grand canyon on dec. 21 and I expect to find a shit ton of silt in there when I open it up. but I bet I still won't find any mold. It will be completely decontaminated before it touches an Idaho River. I don't usually open the tubes, but I will this year.
Your right and I apologize to you Aire owners for posting ALL.

I've worked on a couple Aire's that a friend owned. I'd get them ready for an annual high school Deso trip he put together each year. His boats were old and smelt like mold. I'd have to open the floors enough to service the relief valves each year. He boated a lot on Deso and the San Juan. Several times over the years I'd pull the bladders to lighten his load. I'd vacuum literally gallons of sand out and some of it would still be a little wet from the year or years before. It wouldn't smell good either. I'll quit posting my dislikes for the brand. Besides.....I own two Tomcats.