caves to hike to on Grand Canyon rest days - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2014   #1

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
caves to hike to on Grand Canyon rest days

Does anyone know of caves to hike to from the river. I know plenty of great hikes, from Tom's book, but would like to combine a good hike and a cave to explore. Any beta...?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
The only cave open to recreational visitation in Grand Canyon is on Horseshoe Mesa.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #3

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You can find more than a few caves when you hike up to the Redwall and Muav limestone layers. They are pretty much the same Redwall caves as you'll see from the river when you're in the mile 25-40 area, going by the Cave Springs caves at river level, Stanton's Cave, and the Royal Alcoves and such. The tricky part is that when you reach the Redwall many times you'll have a cliff in front of you, not a slope. But, not every time. Go explore!

Specifically, just above South Canyon, on the left, is a small pull-in at a slope up to where you can find what you are looking for.

Also, Tapeats Cave is up Tapeats Creek, and you'll find more if you walk up to the right from the creek and also left, up and over into Surprise Valley.

One of the good things I like about heading out of camp and taking an unknown, to me, walk is finding something unexpected. Many interesting things are waiting to be found. "Hey guys, let's take a walk here and see what we might see." Ditch the guidebook hikes; go write your own.

A related walking idea is to go to the Coconino layer the first day or two of your trip and look for fossil footprints in the broken chunks. They are there!
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014   #4

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L View Post
You can find more than a few caves when you hike up to the Redwall and Muav limestone layers. They are pretty much the same Redwall caves as you'll see from the river when you're in the mile 25-40 area, going by the Cave Springs caves at river level, Stanton's Cave, and the Royal Alcoves and such. The tricky part is that when you reach the Redwall many times you'll have a cliff in front of you, not a slope. But, not every time. Go explore!

Specifically, just above South Canyon, on the left, is a small pull-in at a slope up to where you can find what you are looking for.

Also, Tapeats Cave is up Tapeats Creek, and you'll find more if you walk up to the right from the creek and also left, up and over into Surprise Valley.

One of the good things I like about heading out of camp and taking an unknown, to me, walk is finding something unexpected. Many interesting things are waiting to be found. "Hey guys, let's take a walk here and see what we might see." Ditch the guidebook hikes; go write your own.

A related walking idea is to go to the Coconino layer the first day or two of your trip and look for fossil footprints in the broken chunks. They are there!
Watch out for the viper that lives at the top of the climb at Tapeats. I was face to face with him on my June trip. I have it on my helmet cam. He was the most aggro rattle snake I have ever seen out there. Not the best place for him to have attitude. He can hide anywhere up there. 1 fall from that climb dodging his wrath and its casket city! Careful, there are many places to screw up up there.
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote