Cataract Oars rope wrap help needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-28-2013   #1

Breckenridge, Colorado
Cataract Oars rope wrap help needed

So wonder what type of issue I'm having with my rope wrap. My NRS atomic oar locks seem to be wearing through my wrap extremely fast. Just noticed after my third time using the oars that the rope is being separated. What is causing this? Is it the oar locks, should I get some cobras. Is it my technique. Help

Summit rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit rafter View Post
So wonder what type of issue I'm having with my rope wrap. My NRS atomic oar locks seem to be wearing through my wrap extremely fast. Just noticed after my third time using the oars that the rope is being separated. What is causing this? Is it the oar locks, should I get some cobras. Is it my technique. Help
Try tapping the end of the wrap with a block of wood to tighten it back up. Is it epoxied? I used a harbor freight rubber tensioner when I did my wrap

Is the rope actually wearing or just separating?

The cobras have more surface area they will tend to wear more gradually.
Old 05-28-2013   #3

Breckenridge, Colorado
You know I'm not sure if it is epoxied. When I bought the oars new they came with the rope wrap on. It looks like a little of both worn and separating ill try to upload a pic tomorrow. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Atomics have a bit of a rough texture under the anodizing. Sucks, because anodizing is harder than everything but diamonds. Same thing as aluminum oxide sandpaper. No doubt it's causing a lot of wear on your ropes. It would be nice if the underlying aluminum was smoother before the anodizing was done.

People last year were commenting that their Atomics were egging out their aluminum NRS towers.

I got my Atomics last year and only used them on steel towers; haven't used them enough to notice if they were causing a lot of wear on my wraps.

My only suggestion would be to try to give them a bit of polish with....aluminum oxide sandpaper. Try 200 grit.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #5

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Atomics have a bit of a rough texture under the anodizing. Sucks, because anodizing is harder than everything but diamonds. Same thing as aluminum oxide sandpaper. No doubt it's causing a lot of wear on your ropes. It would be nice if the underlying aluminum was smoother before the anodizing was done.

People last year were commenting that their Atomics were egging out their aluminum NRS towers.

I got my Atomics last year and only used them on steel towers; haven't used them enough to notice if they were causing a lot of wear on my wraps.

My only suggestion would be to try to give them a bit of polish with....aluminum oxide sandpaper. Try 200 grit.
I'm surprised you haven't made your own oarlocks 4runner!
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #6

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Rope wrap

Avatard is right -- epoxy the ends so they don't slip up the shaft and loosen the wrap. The composite shafts are so slick that they don't hold the wrap well.

My next wrap job, I am going to use the cord that they use for lawnmower pull starters.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I'm surprised you haven't made your own oarlocks 4runner!

Now that I can weld stainless, that's probably next!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #8

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
You better tig that shit!!
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #9

Breckenridge, Colorado
[QUOTE=MT4Runner;318906]Atomics have a bit of a rough texture under the anodizing. Sucks, because anodizing is harder than everything but diamonds. Same thing as aluminum oxide sandpaper. No doubt it's causing a lot of wear on your ropes. It would be nice if the underlying aluminum was smoother before the anodizing was done.

My only suggestion would be to try to give them a bit of polish with....aluminum oxide sandpaper. Try 200 grit.[/QUOTChic

This is what I did before ever using. I noticed they weren't that smooth and thought they would fray the ropes fast. My problem looks more like the narrow width of the oar locks at the base is causing the problem.
Old 05-29-2013   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
You could eliminate the wrap entirely. Do you have anyone locally that sells a pro-lok?

I went that route cause I had bent a sawyer cobra and I was seeing some obvious wear in the shafts. After using the cobra I'd never go back to a standard shaped horn

Like the pro loks just had to grind off the thread of the stop once tightened on the oar

Tags
cataract